"move start" and "move end" arrow buttons missing

azdesigner

I'm starting a new plan. After drawing in the perimeter walls with rough dimensions (as suggested in the user guide), I am going back to make each wall dimension completely accurate.  When typing in a new wall length, most of the walls have the "move start" and "move end" arrows but a few don't.  Why?  Without those buttons, the wall I'm working on is resizing the wrong direction and messing up the whole plan.  I read through the reference manual, in addition to the user manual, and can't find anything that explains this.  Can anyone help?

If you draw your walls in a clockwise direction, and then select each one, again going clockwise and change the dimension, you should not need the move start and move end arrows.

Could you post a screen capture showing the problem and saying what you are trying to do?

I drew it the way you described.  As shown in the photo, I started drawing at the blue dot in the bottom left corner, going clockwise.  Then when adjusting the lengths, I started again at the bottom left, by the blue dot. The first three walls had end handles and adjusted fine. The area in red is what I'm having problems with.  It is 2'5", but I want it 2'.  This wall has no end handles.  When I enter 2', the wall circled in yellow changes from 7' to 7'5".  ( I want it to be 7'.) 

walls, move start.jpg

Try this. Go to Edit>Delete Objects

Choose all floors and check Automatic and Manual dimensions.

Learn to trust Temporary Dimensions, and trust yourself to enter things correctly.

Once you have changed each wall, then, if you feel you need them, add dimensions

Once you set a walls length, you don't need to see its length -- trust that it is correct and will remain so.

I draw complete houses using only temporary dimensions, and only add (manual) dimensions at the end of the process -- or when a temporary dimension is not picking up the point I want to adjust from, and then that manual dimension is deleted.

3 minutes ago, solver said:

I draw complete houses using only temporary dimensions

By temporary dimensions, do you mean ones that are not very accurate?  Like a foot or two off?  Some of my dimensions are off that much, because I was just eye-balling it when I did the initial drawing, like it said to do in the instructions.

16 hours ago, azdesigner said:

I am going back to make each wall dimension completely accurate.  When typing in a new wall length, most of the walls have the "move start" and "move end" arrows but a few don't.  Why?

The wall to be moved should be the one you left-click-select. The "S and E" indicators (Start and End) can be turned on or off in "Edit Preferences -Edit - Show Start and End indicators".

Watch the videos Eric has offered and the ones about Dimensions at the Home Talk - HD Pro website and you will get it sorted out.

DJP