LAPTOP VS DESKTOP OPINIONS PLEASE

RoneyC

Can the forum members please give some input here on whether it makes sense to forgo the purchase of a desktop computer and instead, use a laptop connected to a 21-27” hi res monitor? Do any, all or none of you find it practical to take your laptop to a clients home or office. 

I am preparing to drop a quarter on either or in the next day or two.

Thank you,

-

My apology if by chance I missed this exact topic in my search here 

Additionally, my current computer is an early Abacus 2X4

I have run home designer pro on both desktops and laptops and found they both run well.   I do have to say that both my desk top and laptop are high end. They both have dedicated video cards with plenty of memory.   My laptop is an alien with 16 gig memory and a 4 gig memory video dedicated memory card.  my desktop is 16 gig memory with a 2 gig memory video and both running i7 processors.  both run well with the home designer software.

25 minutes ago, barthmv said:

I have run home designer pro on both desktops and laptops and found they both run well.   I do have to say that both my desk top and laptop are high end. They both have dedicated video cards with plenty of memory.   My laptop is an alien with 16 gig memory and a 4 gig memory video dedicated memory card.  my desktop is 16 gig memory with a 2 gig memory video and both running i7 processors.  both run well with the home designer software.

Thanks for your quick reply. What are the versions of to the different Intel i7 chips, ie 4400,  7700 ...?

I run Chief Premier on my desktop and an ASUS laptop for fieldwork. If I were to get comparable performance from my desktop, I would plan to spend at least twice as much for a comparable laptop. I have total in my desktop about $2,000.00 adding in the initial build plus upgrades since the first build. My laptop cost was $1,500.00 at Best Buy, it is reliable but very slow compared to my desktop which I tolerate because I use my desktop most of the time. If I were to have a laptop as my sole PC I would plan to spend at least $4,000.00 for an Alienware or Sager laptop to gain a PC fast enough to keep up with me and my drawing habits.

Laptops just cost more for the same performance as a desktop, they are harder and more expensive to repair or upgrade compared to a desktop. So it is a matter of one's priorities as to which direction you go.

DJP