ridgejohnston

Designing Roof with Dormers

Hello, I'm having difficulty getting Chief Architect Home Designer Pro to allow me to design a roof that the base of the roof is equal to the grade of the 2nd level floor. It insists on having a wall, however, once I place a wall it extrudes the top of the roof. 

How do I design this? 

Also, it does not allow me to change the design of the roof to gable after designating the walls. Anyone have experience with this? 

Basically, the 2nd floor is built inside the roof. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 6.38.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 6.49.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 6.50.17 PM.png

I see you said Pro, but the version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using is important too.

You can help everyone by adding that info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Auto roofs build over your exterior walls, and wall height is controlled by the ceiling height of the adjacent room.

Manual roofs may be placed anywhere and will cut off the wall under them.

Search the Home Designer site for cape cod -- there should be an article explaining how to build a story and a half house.

• Like 1