Need a little roof help

jlliles87

I'm drawing a small addition for a contractor and have run into a road block on making the existing roof look correct. The top ridge line shouldn't have the step down that you see in the snips. Auto roof did this when I added a roof over the deck area. This is how the roof looks using strictly the autobuild roof. I have taken a couple shots at fixing it manually; however, I am almost completely helpless if I can't get a roof to look right with auto roof on. I always get close, but can't get all of the planes to join. 

I'm also a little puzzled as to why auto roof did this to the main ridge but that is aside the point. Any pointers on how to fix this troublesome little spot? I'm using Pro 2016 64 bit on Windows 10

BRUCE THOMPSON.plan

roof screenshot 2.JPG

roof screenshot.JPG

The plan you posted does not match the images, but in either case, that's a simple roof to fix manually.

You really should take the time to learn the manual roof tools. 

I'm sure I have linked to the YouTube videos from Chief, and DJP (David Potter) also has a bunch on YouTube.

Is this what you are trying to do?  If so build a second floor and lower the ceiling height to 12". Then lower the pitch on the deck rails.

You may have to resize the deck and first floor ceiling heights, also there's two windows in the same spot on the left wall. Try gableing

the side rails.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a5037c4a3951e7b75ec56e4cb20cecd1.PNG

17 hours ago, solver said:

The plan you posted does not match the images, but in either case, that's a simple roof to fix manually.

You really should take the time to learn the manual roof tools. 

I'm sure I have linked to the YouTube videos from Chief, and DJP (David Potter) also has a bunch on YouTube.

Would you mind telling me which tools I need to fix the roof manually? My primary problem in fixing roof issues is not knowing which tools I need to utilize to fix the problem. 

Here are some videos to get you started.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/videos/watch/10141/home-designer-beginning-roof-design.html?playlist=200

And I'll suggest practice.

Draw a one room structure. Draw a gable roof, then a hip roof. Add a room creating an L shape and add a roof over it so it connects to the existing roof.

Work in plan and in a camera view -- i do most initial work in a camera view, then cleanup in plan.

• Downvote 1