Adding Storage Shed to Existing Garage

ChiefMags

I have been attempting to add a storage shed to the right (north) side of the garage. I have tried adding a porch and adding a separate room but am having major issues with the roof. I am able to create a shed roof but it is created much too high, especially on the garage side. As a porch it interferes with the dormer.

I want the shed to butt up to the right (north) side of the garage
I want the right side to be the garage wall
I want the roof to come beneath the garage roof so that snow will shed on to the shed roof.
I want the far right wall of the shed to be approx. 6' high.
I want it to be open in the front.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you,
Margaret

90 Tobin Lane Remodel.zip

You haven't drawn the shed in your plan (you should), but I'm not understanding what problem you are having?  I do see lots of clean-up that needs to be done.  Also, I think you have incorrectly set up the great room.  You already have a 2nd floor, so reset the walls above the great room to not be attic/no definition.  Designate the new room as 'open below' and set the finished ceiling to "0", and 'no ceiling over this room'.  On floor 1, copy/paste in place the dormers to the 2nd floor. Back on the 1st floor, you can delete the dormers, which will eliminate the wall clutter.

• Upvote 2

Eric I have updated my signature, I thought putting Home Designer Suite 2018 in tabs would let you know what version I was working with. I will try your suggestions and be in touch.

Jo Ann thank you for your clean up suggestions...very helpful. I will be in touch in regards to your suggestions as soon as possible.

Mags

• 4 weeks later...

Hello...I'm back.

Jo Ann I don't see an easy way to make the changes you are suggesting.

"You already have a 2nd floor, so reset the walls above the great room to not be attic/no definition.  Designate the new room as 'open below' and set the finished ceiling to "0", and 'no ceiling over this room'.  On floor 1, copy/paste in place the dormers to the 2nd floor. Back on the 1st floor, you can delete the dormers, which will eliminate the wall clutter."

The room is only a single story and I didn't see a way to change the walls to not be "attic". I very much appreciate your suggestions to "clean things up" but this room works for what I need it to do and am not sure it is worth my time to correct. Thank you though. However, I am a perfectionist so further direction would be appreciated if you feel they would be helpful.

I added the storage shed. It is the correct size but the roof line is too tall and I want it attached to the garage. Also the one wall on the north should be 7'. Maybe I should have created a porch rather than a room?  Suggestions appreciated.

I also created our screened in porch with the same issue. I need to be able to adjust the pitch of the roof.

Let me know if you need additional information. Thank you!

Mags

90 Tobin Lane Remodel-Deleted front dormers-3 door.zip

For the living room dormer:
Highlight the dormer, then go to your TOP toolbar (under edit) and select "copy".
Move to the 2nd floor on the floor plan.  Go back to the top tool bar and (under edit) select "paste/ paste hold position".   The dormer should automatically copy on the 2nd floor level.  Go back to floor 1 and delete the floor 1 dormer.   This should only leave an outline of the dormer (instead of the entire dormer) on floor 1, and that is much less intrusive on your floor plan in the kitchen area.  This takes less than a minute to do.

It appears that you have done the screened  room correctly, and I don't understand why you are having trouble changing the pitch of the roof.  It needs to be set at "4" to place it just below the 2nd floor windows.

The shed:
I don't understand why you are having a problem lowering the roof on the right side of the shed (south side on screen) to 6'.  You seem to have grasped the ceiling height concept very well in the 2nd floor room over the garage.
If the shed is meant to be attached to the garage, why have you drawn it completely unattached?  Once again, you only need to lower the pitch of the shed roof, if you want it to attach to the garage wall, beneath the garage fascia eave (probably about 2.5" to 3" pitch).

• Upvote 1

Jo Ann,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

Wow...For the living room dormer: That was easy...I thought that not being able to highlight the space above the great room I wouldn't be able to move the dormer but it worked...also in the past I don't remember being able to copy from one floor to the other...either my experience or product update changed that.

As for the Screened Room and Shed I am no longer at a loss. I couldn't figure it out until thinking about all you were saying I change all walls to the same pitch and voila!! Then I made the shed the same as the screen in porch with 3 new walls and using the garage wall. Then figured out how to make one wall of the shed shorter by changing the ceiling height!

Thanks to you my major issues are resolved!!  Attached for you to see! If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Warmly,

Mags   

PS  One minor detail. Is there a way when putting a gable over a door in a vaulted room the interior ceiling can match the interior ceiling line? Picture attached to hopefully make myself clear.

Gable over door.jpg

90 Tobin Lane Remodel-Deleted front dormers-3 door (2).zip

If you had the Architectural version of the software, you could cover that up with a sloped soffit.  But, you have Suite, and Suite doesn't have sloped soffits.

The only other choice, is to create a a sloped panel in Sketchup software (free), and import it into your plan.

• Upvote 1

I take it that this is a work in progress, there's still a lot of work to be done. So please take these as suggestions.

Click tools>plan check for both floors, you will see why, the doorway in the Kitchen is 96" you may want to lower that..

Try the room divider tool to separate the Kitchen from the Dining room and Great room and rename them.

Uncheck "include in total living area calculation" and check default, it includes the living area, by default your Porches,

Slabs and Garages are excluded. For the Bunk room, please change it to bedroom, because that's what it is. On the tool

bar click the outlet icon and click auto place outlets for the rooms  add switches and lighting and connect them using the

connect electrical tool. To get the attic walls to match the first floor interior walls, use two wedges back to back, resize them

and make them about 1" thick or less.

On the second floor, the master bath shower has a sliding door, here's something you try, break the wall at the cabinet and

change it to a glass shower wall, keep or delete the sliding door, if you keep it, make the door glass, if you delete it, type glass door

in the search bar and install on the glass wall, or just make the whole wall glass, resize the cabinets so that they are against the wall

they spaced about 3" inches from the wall and software filled in the gap.

• Upvote 1

Jo Ann thank you for your input. As I am simply using HD to do a visual remodel I won't need to go that far...thanks for the suggestion though.

We bought a home that is in need of a remodel which is why I purchased HD. It has been an invaluable tool as we have already gone through about 6 different designs. We are keeping the main house, bumping out the Great Room 15', enlarging the kitchen, adding a fireplace, making the upstairs a Master Suite with den, adding a guest room, breezeway, studio over the garage and storage shed. We would have never been able to visualize what we wanted without HD. I am using an Architectural Designer for ideas and our final blueprints so she will be handling most of the small details and run the design through a structural engineer.

LawB10 thank you for reminding me of the "plan check"...very helpful. I will play with the outlets, switches and lighting. The house already has a lot of of that but some redesign and addition is in order and it will be good to work with it. I didn't think of working with the electrical in HD until you mentioned it! I also appreciate the suggestions on the master bath...thank you!