How to build this roof, Part II

4ndrew

Not having any luck creating this roof structure without pieces ending up missing, or clad strangely (missing part of siding), etc. This is a single home.

Don't know the program well enough, but assuming I may have to try to do it manually?

Can it be done?

roof-connection.PNG

3 minutes ago, 4ndrew said:

knee-wall-break.PNG

This looks much different than your sketch posted above. Should it? The sketch looks like 2 identical structures offset a bit. Is this what you are trying to model?

The sketch was just that... neither is exactly the right proportions, but I'm trying first to figure out how to actually do this. Both parts of the actual structure feature saltbox design.

In reality, the two roofs are slightly different heights at the ridge.

Here's what happens when I try to create kneewalls under each section:

knee-wall-warning.PNG

Roofs build over rooms, the height is controlled by the ceiling height of the room.

Draw what I have shown here. It's a single floor. Change the ceiling heights in the various rooms, and move the horizontal interior walls up and down. 

See how these changes affect the model.

Snap3.thumb.jpg.8cd161c59c20977a38e7a8705ed4dc9b.jpg

• Upvote 1

The "Pro" solution is to draw the roof (or correct what the program has drawn) manually.

The only reasonable way for someone else to see what you are doing is to post the plan, and with the trial, that's not possible.

If you are serious about the software, consider buying it and spending the time to get up to speed within the 30 day return window. If it does not meet your needs, or you find it too complex etc, return it.

There's 2 ways to do that....  

First:   Draw a 1st floor and make 2 rooms and gable the side walls, then build a second floor and draw a wall to make separate rooms, lower the

right room or raise the left room. On the 2nd floor move the front walls of both rooms and make them knee walls and then lower the pitch on the back

walls.

Second:  Don't use knee walls on the second floor, move the front walls up until the 1st floor roof appears. Go to the 1st floor and raise the pitch to 12 or so

on the front walls.

Last:  Use different pitches and ceiling heights to get the look you want.

The 1st pic is a saltbox with knee walls, the second one is without knee walls.....

saltbox.thumb.png.50d5947675e0e1f75032dca14b9a6ffc.png58e02013b01d8_saltbox1.thumb.png.7d59084653db39cef2ee79a6cf402fdd.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, just getting back to this now.

LawB10, the pitch on my home is the same on both sides of the ridge(s), so changing 1 pitch won't be accurate.

Eric - I appreciate the thought of buying, but I don't see how the purchase itself would help me figure this out.

I see there are several videos, so I'll probably go through them to see if I can find the answer.

cheers

Andrew

You need to move this topic back over to Q&A, where it belongs.

I don't think that anyone can offer much constructive help, without knowing what the real dimensions  (floor heights, ceiling heights, and roof pitch) really are.

4ndrew roof.JPG

Thanks Jo_Ann.

Thanks!

Wow - I see you were able to model this pretty successfully - I'm not asking, however, how to model it to precise dimensions - I'm asking how to do what you're showing here.

That said, I'm expecting to get my laser measuring tape today :) at which point I'll be able to be a lot more specific. (The inside has some unusual stuff going on, too)

Are you able to share the model so I can look at the construction?

Also - not sure why it would go in Q&A vs. Tips & Tricks, but I'd certainly move it if appropriate, though I don't seem to have that choice.

thanks again,

Andrew

Re-open your original topic that was posted in Q&A, and resume your questions.

What I'm trying to say, is that this is a complicated design, and your OWN exact measurements will get your desired results, ONLY.

My plan would be of NO benefit to you at all, because all of my settings are just guesses.  My plan was all done using auto build roof, and that means lots of settings are used that are different, as opposed to HD Pro.  By using only the trial version, you are unable to post your plan, and that pretty much destroys getting any constructive help.   :(

4ndrew roof 2.JPG

Hi Jo_Ann,

I'm just trying to figure out how to get the roofs to work, or find someone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I understand it may be a complicated design. Dimensions are not important...