Story and a Half Style - Wall Penetrating Roof Siding Issue

alaska_av8r

I have a Story and a Half Styled house with the Master Bathroom Upstairs protruding out the roof.  The walls of the bath are exterior walls in one place and interior walls as they penetrate the roof.

As you can see from the photos, how do I split them and get it to show the proper sheetrock on the interior and siding on the exterior since the penetrate the roof at an angle.

post-628-0-99008800-1408652051_thumb.gif

post-628-0-00771600-1408652057_thumb.gif

post-628-0-64188200-1408652063_thumb.gif

You need to use the "Pony-Wall" tool for this particular application. It allows you to select two different wall types to display within the same wall (the upper wall's exterior can be siding and the lower wall can then display just sheet rock or drywall and the wall is then split into two distinct wall-poly-lines that you can adjust the edges of in an elevation camera view to get it looking just right.

This video at You Tube may help demonstrate what I am suggesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQXGX_3k88

DJP

I think you can do this automatically , or does HDA have a limitation?

I use the Wall DBX setting for each side wall and just set the " if Lower wall split by Roof" and pick interior wall on the drop down list ( thick or thin as needed) , that should give you drywall inside and siding outside as needed.

Mick.

Jo Ann, you are correct, I spoke out of turn. Architectural does have a pony-wall tool bit unlike Pro and Premier those segments can only be raised or lowered, not shaped as they can in Pro and Premier.

I checked to make sure Architectural had pony walls without also checking to see if the wall poly-lines can then be shaped (they can be adjusted up or down by not otherwise, except in HD Pro or Chief Premier, sorry)

DJP

Well, the good news (if you call it such) is that a workaround does exist.  The surface texture is just that ... a texture.  A thin (1/16") overlay of a wedge from the shapes library, and an appropriately placed soffit from the cabinetry menu can cover up the texture.  The down side is that your materials list will be significantly off with regard to siding and a few other items, but at least you'll get a better, or more true, image view of the interior.

Good luck. :)

Well I am watching the video and cannot get the break line tool active, in the attached image you can see it is not an option in the editor toolbar, tried the hotkey 3 as well. Hmmmm Tried with the pony wall and got the proper wall coverings but were unable to add handles to angle it so it fit the roof plane.

When I just create a polyline shape with CAD I get the break line tool, but not by clicking on any of the walls, I even put a wall outside the house and clicked all over it.

post-628-0-42502500-1408679689_thumb.gif

Open this plan and zoom into the offending wall in the bedroom to have a look.   There is an interior wall (made very thin) and moved close to the siding wall (not touching!!)  This method works, but is a big hassle.

Zoom in and take a look at the offending wall on the stairwell side.  First make your interior walls in that room a drywall material.   Then,  as Elovia suggested, place an inverted wedge from the library  (shapes).  Make it very thin and position it against the siding outside (resized to cover the siding).  This is the easiest fix.    I changed the wedge to a different color siding to make it easier to see (in the 3d view).

I hope this helps.  :)

alaska_av8r.plan

hi Tim as JoAnn mentioned , HDA can not edit the Pony Wall shape ,(only height and width) , that can only be done in Pro.

However JoAnn has gone all out and done a nice job of your plan with Shapes etc   :)

Only thing I noticed was I could see the OSB at the end of the wall for some reason , so I simply changed the OSB material to Drywall colour to hide it  ( OSB doesn't paint well , so change the material)

Mick

JoAnn and Mick thank you very much!  JoAnn I just downloaded the file and hopefully will get a chance to look at it tonight, Mick if you posted a file it isn't showing up.

I am learning quite a lot very fast with this newer version, with all the videos and help from the forum I am excited to get this all figured out.

I'll update with the results as soon as I get a chance.

thanks again

tim

I didn't attach a Plan before Tim as I didn't find anything major wrong with JoAnn's plan just a couple of cosmetic things but I have marked up the plan now for you to check out.

let me know when you have it so I can remove it from my post as HD is limiting Uploads now for each user and I am almost maxed out...

thx.

M.

Hi Tim didn't think about it yest. but I am not sure if you can open my Plan ?  I use HD Pro 10 so perhaps not ? think you might need Pro too ?

wasn't too much really so here is an image of the notes I made on the plan

All in all JoAnn once again came thru with some nice workarounds ...  learning new stuff myself  :)

M.

post-25-0-60825500-1408809441_thumb.jpg

You are right JoAnn , I just did a quick cross section , and there wont be enough head room , however the landing is real narrow as well only 2'11" so not wide enough , I think Code may even be 39" (3'3") for stairwells .

You can fix this since there is room upstairs by lowering the landing to 42" and making it 42" wide too , make the bottom stairs 5 treads  and the top 9 treads.........

while playing with this JoAnn I just found the lower interior wall ,the staircase is against, doesn't line up with the Upper wall , (4" out?) but am unsure which wall is incorrect ( or if you or Tim drew this up?  )   but it throws the staircase out as it come up under the upper wall. 

post-25-0-25831700-1408839227_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-07414200-1408839236_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-66546800-1408839248_thumb.jpg

M.