Can a higher roof cover/ span completely over a lower roof?

veranico

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Hi, I'm creating renderings for an architect in HD Architectural 2017. His design has a new 1.75 story open volume Outdoor Verandah with a bar area that has a nearby "closet" size pantry space. The pantry structure has a one story 9' plate tiled hip/shed roof. A boxed-in fireplace flue sits over part of the pantry roof from an existing fireplace in an adjacent room on first floor below.

My problem is when I try to put a ceiling over the entire high 1.75 story volume space at +18' I can't get that high roof to span over and above the one story 9' pantry roof below. I tried creating an invisible "room" on second floor to project out over the pantry, but I can't figure out how to work this with the existing window and fireplace flue elements in place.

I've read through all of the manual sections on roofs; looked at many published HD roof videos, and searched the forum, but so far can't find a similar setup from which to interpolate.

I understand that this portion of the high roof is being excluded because the Verandah room itself is divided at the pantry wall so the pantry becomes a room in itself and it effectively creates a void exactly the size of the pantry roof in the second ceiling above.

Can a higher roof structure be designed to span completely over a lower roof below, or is there a method to close the void opening in high the ceiling above the one story pantry? The exterior roof design does not matter--I'm only providing interior views for this space.

post-7809-0-74871900-1472247697_thumb.jpg

First flr plan.pdf

Second flr plan.pdf

post-7809-0-62200900-1472248364_thumb.jpg

post-7809-0-90490700-1472249690_thumb.jpg

• Solution

I am sorry in that I made a video but the sound did not record for some reason. What I did was to add  a room above the room where you wanted the 18' ceiling. I designated it "Open Below" so as to remove the floor.

On the first floor I opened the dialog boxes for the kitchen and great room and unchecked "ceiling" making the second floor room the one that defines the ceiling for both spaces. I then added a cabinet soffit over the exposed section of the room common with the house. The edited file is attached below.

DJP

File DMA-E_08-26-16.plan

veranico,

Sorry to say, but with the interior roof the problem can't be fixed. HDA doesn't  allow interior roofs. I would suggest rebuild the roof and then use

a sloped soffit and/or a shape the emulate a interior roof. Also change the eave and gable overhang to 4" or more. Like David said build a second

floor and make it open below.

Hi David, thanks so much for creating the modified file; I really learned a lot from it and the additional tips you provided via the clean up in there were very helpful as to better overall layouts. I ran your alternate by the Architect; I thought it was a very clean solution but he remains enamored with his interior sloping roof idea (!).

I ended up preserving the low hip roof by using the idea both you and LawB10 suggested to insert flat soffits in the voids over the pantry that match the underside of the main higher default ceiling height. There is still some minor 'seaming' visible which has me puzzled--see attached--but which will not be a problem for the views requested.

Unfortunately the 2nd floor flue as the designer wanted it does not align on the outside pantry wall face.This prevents a cleanly stacked two story wall and results in the more complex low roof layout.

I'm 25 years in the biz and have never encountered a roof-under-roof design like this, so can easily understand why there is no call for the HDA software to provide for this feature.

I greatly appreciate the time and tips you both provided to get me forward with this challenging issue!

post-7809-0-99978700-1472776421_thumb.jpg