House Wizard dimensions

rfcomm2k

When using the House Wizard tool, I note that it automatically deducts 4" in between rooms when placing them together. For example, I have a need to fill a 20' x 25' space with a sitting room, bedroom, closet, and bath. So I used the wizard to create a 20x25 bedroom block. I then created a bedroom, bathroom, living room, and closet block and adjusted the sizes to fit within the original 20x25 space.

The dimensions of the rooms were different, but understandably so. The bedroom was first and is 12x12. Bathroom was next and the dimensions displayed were 7'8" x 7'. This spans the entire 20' width of the space, and the outside perimeter of the two blocks exactly line up with the perimeter of the reference block.

So I asked myself how does 12' plus 7'8" add up to 20' and I realized the answer is because there is a wall between the two rooms.

OK, that made sense, but the actual dimension does not. A 2x4 stud wall with a layer of drywall on each side is going to be 4.5" wide, not 4". And common building practices do not use 1/4" drywall except for shaping curved surfaces.

So is there somewhere in the preferences or default settings where I can specify that the wall thickness between rooms in the House Wizard are 4.5" thick instead of 4"?

My impression of that tool is it's designed to work more like a paper sketch, rather than something to create a carefully dimensioned plan.

Well that is fine, but it is following common sense by deducting from the room dimensions the wall thickness. I just would like to be able to deduct a different thickness.