Defining a Porch without changing the roof line

Evolution

I have attempted to model the porch on this as-built as it is, that is, the porch projects from the front of the house about 18", has no rails only decorative columns. The roof over-hang is wide enough that it covers the edge of the porch without a projection thus creating a smooth straight across roof line.

If I define it as a porch and draw it with rail tools it causes the roof to project. I modeled the roof, and have it pretty close to reality. I turned off rebuild in the roof, but it continues to change each time (building a crazy over-hang over the porch edge. If I attempt it with invisible walls nothing shows up, the porch can't be selected to set it's DBX etc. Suggestions?

I did draw the foundation in as it appears in reality, and am trying to go back and use invisible walls to define the room setting the front wall back the 18" so that it is under the roof line, but nothing works so far.

post-30-0-97267300-1405609401_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Have you added the 2nd floor (to support the dormer room)?   I added a 2nd floor with 0" ceiling  (2nd floor extends over porch walls, too).  After defining all the wall roof tabs for the 2nd floor,  you can go back down to floor 1 to work on the porch (and you can leave auto roof on until you draw the interior knee walls and raise the ceiling within those knee walls on floor 2).

I used invisible walls for the porch.  Remove the roof from the porch room in the dbx (floor 1!).   You can then extend the porch room out 18" and add the extra connecting walls to keep the room definition.  You should then go to floor 0 to reset the porch foundation walls where you want them.   I recess the foundation walls somewhat, because a porch slab usually overhangs the foundation a little bit.  :)

Room divider is new in 2015 , so Bob doesn't have that option , I would of used invisible walls like JoAnn to do this probably...

but you have Pro too Bob,so you can use the ability to modify Roof Planes too to your advantage.... just remember that if you "rebuild the roof" you will lose any manual changes, so once you go manual stay manual for roof planes.

In HDPro 10, you can use invisible outer walls to get the roof line over your porch, and then define the porch room type as "open below" instead of "porch".  Then manually add a slab and foundation walls to finish.  Partial height walls outside of the roof can be built from either slabs, soffits, or shapes.

Hope this helps. :)

p.s.  this technique doesn't work quite as well in HDPro 2015 with defaults settings.

post-251-0-27890900-1405734548_thumb.jpg