Hip roof with turn out

Evolution

Haven't found a good key word to use to find a thread or help on this one. Helping a friend with "as-built" on his home in prep for an extensive remodel. Don't have to do anything with the roof (as of yet) but did want to model it as correctly as possible in elevation so we have options to dress up the outside. The roof is simple hip, but everywhere the roof meets an exterior wall it turns slightly up at the over-hang. Not sure how to model it in Pro 10, but still searching the helps but haven't found anything.

Looks like, after reviewing the user manual, that Gull wing Roof might be the route to go, if the HIP function can be applied to all four exterior walls. As soon as I get the floor plan exterior walls and porch done I just may stop and experiment with that.

post-30-0-24696200-1405344458_thumb.jpg

you haven't set the baseline distance where you want it to start , it is starting at the Ridge height which is why you cant see it..

decide how far inside the buildings walls you want it to start , as by default the baseline sits right on the framing layer, on the outside of the wall.   so if you want it to start 4' up the roof , deduct your overhang , say 18" so your "in from Baseline would be 30" per the attached pic.

usually the 1st pitch is lower than the upper , sometime 1/2 pitch on the lower eg if upper is 8/12 the lower would be 4/12

post-25-0-80394600-1405561369_thumb.png

You are showing 5" and 12" JoAnn, with 60" in from baseline

I am showing 3" and 6" ( suggested 4" and 8") and 30 in from baseline (48" total)

but Bob is showing 8" and 6" and NO in from baseline

so if he had a baseline measurement his lower roof would have a steeper pitch than the Upper Roof..... more like a Mansard Gambrel roof than a Gullwing....

M.

Corrected roof type name

Bob,

Your upper pitch doesn't look steep enough to allow a dormer.   Recheck the real roof pitch.

The real dormer looks like it is also a gullwing roof.  I had to draw the dormer manually to be able to access each wall/roof tab to make it 2 pitches.  I think with Pro you can explode a floating dormer to enable access to each wall definition?

I think you are right Jo , that upper pitch is probably 10/12 , perhaps more from the photo ,good eye I cant tell if the dormer is gullwing or not?

And yes Floating dormers can be exploded in Pro , just not sure if the gullwing "works" on Floating Dormers.... it's not one of the options but maybe ?

Hi Bob , yep invisible walls work fine for this porch , after the Roof was built I added the four basement walls to the basement level

and added a custom slab on top to make the Porch floor ( this hides/eliminates the existing floor if already designated a porch)

UP on level one I added a couple of columns and the ceiling beams above.....

Then the floating Dormers  , but even though in Pro we can explode them to define the roof in the wall DBX none of the settings for Gulwing/Mansard/or Gambrel "Take" it seems ....not sure if it's a bug or not in Pro 10.... Roof stayed hip no matter my settings for upper and lower pitch.

post-25-0-89715800-1405726425_thumb.png

I'll post the plan if you need to look at it  let me know....

Mick

Bob,

Your upper pitch doesn't look steep enough to allow a dormer.   Recheck the real roof pitch.

The real dormer looks like it is also a gullwing roof.  I had to draw the dormer manually to be able to access each wall/roof tab to make it 2 pitches.  I think with Pro you can explode a floating dormer to enable access to each wall definition?

I am not sure what the pitch is........I've tried 10/12 but given the approx. location of the dormer as built dimensions, it still is buried in the roof. And, I followed the tutorial and cannot get it to draw correctly. I am a slow learner and need "step-by-step" instructions" also, the tutorial is based on a "gable" design. It should work the same for the gull-wing, but again, I cannot follow the instructions as well. I created a story and half per tutorial added all the walls per the tutorial.

post-30-0-59788200-1406048673_thumb.jpg

10/12 is steep enough for a Dormer , that's what I used above in my pics.

which Tutorials are you following

did you make the 2nd floor a "blank" floor when you built it ?  (or derived from 1st floor? which won't work)

did you designate the space around the Dormer "attic" per the tutorial?

Mick.