Default Settings

jeffreybianchi

I am using Home Designer Pro 2015.

I have a question that has always perplexed me.  When I change a default setting in the middle of working on a plan, is there a way to retroactively apply the default settings to stuff that's already been drawn?

Example: I am working on a plan which started out with 10" CMU foundation walls.  Turns out we're going to be using 8" walls instead.  I know how to change the default to 8", and every new wall I draw comes out 8", but is there a way to GO BACK and apply the new default of 8" to the 10" walls that I've already drawn?

I can't seem to find anything in the help section that addresses this.

Thanks in advance.

Is there a reason you are not letting the program auto build the foundation?

You cannot apply changes to wall defaults to previously drawn walls.

You can just trace over them using the new wall type, or you can select them and change the wall type in mass.

You could also redefine the 10" wall type definition to be 8", and I believe the program will adjust existing walls of that type to match the new definition.

Eric:

Thanks.  All very useful.  You answered the overall question, which is that once you change a default setting it doesn't automatically re-apply to items already drawn.  Thanks for clarifying.

As to auto-build for the foundation, we're actually starting with the foundation first and inferring the first floor footprint from that.  Long story.  (Not the way I typically operate, but oh well!)

Anyway thanks again!

You have to remember that you are working on and with a computer, so computer logic has to apply: If you have applied material "A" and then change your mind you either have to alter material "A" so it looks like (emulates) material "B" or manually change each wall to the default of material "B". Relative to your stem walls, if you drew 8" walls and then decided to have 12" walls, just alter the 8" stem wall to a width of 12" and that action would then globally apply to all 8" stem walls, making them all 12 " stem walls. You really have to think things through because the software does not "think", rather it always just follows orders (settings, check boxes etc). You have to do the thinking and planning, it just carries out your orders.

DJP

• 6 months later...