Roof goofyness

TomDesign

More roof questions.  I made a simple design tosee how to do two roofs that share one wall and it doesn't do what I expect. I attached the file.

The left roof is 10/12 gable with the peak going lengthwise (up/down on the floor plan).

The right side roof is at right angles to the other roof.  The right side is two stories with the second story having walls that are 48" high.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that a wall is shared for both roofs. On the right roof, I set the roof specs only on the second floor.  On the left roof I only set the roof specs on the first floor.

I expected to see two independent gable roofs, but the program shows them connected together.

post-4650-0-70884000-1455929990_thumb.jpg

RoofTest1.plan

I got the roofs done manually. Now I am having trouble with the "saddle" that is needed between the two roofs so rain can run off properly. I can make the triangular roof plane, but cant get it to make the proper pitch so it goes down to the eaves.  I want the top of the "saddle" to be the same height as the single car garage roof ridge.

I have watched several tutorials and videos, but none showed how to snap a roof plane point to another point at an unknown pitch.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Attached is my current test plan.RoofTest1.plan

No really easy/automatic way to do these that I know.

Once the 2 roof planes are drawn and connected together at the ridge, change the ridge height in their DBX to match the ridge on the garage, keeping the baseline height the same. This will change the pitch. You should be close.

You can make small changes, always locking the ridge height to get them to align as needed.

I think I tried that.  I'll try again.

How do you make a four gable roof?  Think of a rectangular room with all four walls as full gable.  Each outside wall is a gable.  From the top view, the roof ridges look like a + .

I have seen farm houses like this. I have tried this using 8 roof planes but cant get them all at the same height.  The program gives an error box when I try to join roof planes together and click on the second plane. I'm trying to do this as a learning example.  I get it almost right but ... 

The program will autobuild that + roof, but it's nice to see someone practicing.

Here is an easy way to do it manually. 

Draw walls in a tic-tac-toe format with the center square as the house. Build the roof planes over the walls outside the square and join at the ridge.

Now join the corrosponding roof planes. This is one roof join that always works.

Pull the gable ends back to get the proper overhang, and delete the unneeded walls.

I frequently draw temporary walls just to have a place to build a roof.