Clerestory, basements and chimney boxes....

Robborito

I have attached a HDPro plan file of a small single storey mixed use building - I'm having trouble understanding the knowledge base for HDPro.

Could someone advise me how best to plan out a series of basement posts or piers - see attached;

What's with the hole cut out HDPro has created here?

I have created what I thought is best by selecting basement creation with 'posts to beams' and turning of handrails/balusters etc.

But there are lower walls below these posts an much more I am unfamiliar with.

Is the chimney boson the attached model a clerestorey here?

Do I model the walls in the attic - or create them as clerestorey wall.

I want to place windows here also. Not sure where or how to.

I've read up on clerestorey methods by other users (phew!) - does this mean that any wall above a roof is a clerestorey? if so - creating a narrow room that later is deleted has lost me here? Is this merely a means to an end for clerestorey creation of wall above roofs?

So simple - yet so very unclear.

Once I get my mind around how HDPro works - 'attics are not floors' etc - so much the better.

The user guide and reference manuals - are mere dictionaries.

Great base info but not much as enduser advice nor instruction. ( Apart from creating site plot plans and some other matters)

Thanks in advance. (hopefully)

Pettitt_Leesville.plan

The settings for your level 0 rooms are creating the walls below the piers. Review the graphic on the structure panel to see what needs to be changed.

With Pro, you can draw whatever roof you need, place walls and windows as needed. Do you have a picture of what you want to model?

And please try 1 question, or at least one subject per post. 

post-171-0-00884600-1443075942_thumb.jpg

I'm lost sorry - what have you modified  in the room (or wall) structure preferences to remove the walls but leave the posts and beam?

I can't seem to replicate this as you show it.

And as regards the other items - my model show an external wall above a roof that needs to be both an internal and external orientation?

Thanks for your post.

No - sorry, I'm not with it.

Have you changed the stem wall height or the ceiling height; All I get when I change the stem wall height is the posts become a clad external wall?

Or - the stem wall  and posts lift out of the ground?

And as for the drawing of what I want to do at roof - see attached;

Regards Eric.

post-2413-0-82036900-1443244926_thumb.jpeg

I've discovered that what is termed a'stem-wall' - is locally known as a 'dwarf-wall' - me thinks?

In the meantime - I have sorted out meddling most of what you have demonstrated here for me - Thankyou.

I still however - do not grasp the do's and donut's of floor defaults, wall defaults/specification and room defaults/specification.

The interaction is at the moment 'try it and see' -  with no reference to actuality and change.

Is there a text/help for this anywhere known to the HDPro - user?

Thanks Eric.