Roof in 3D

Rapidnurse

Hello all! I know not roofs again! :huh: Just got a new computer!!! Yay!! But this issue was happening on the old one too. 

Does anyone know why the roof looks like this in 3d?  And how to fix it? It could not be the computer, I think it's something that CA may have to fix, a bug or something?

HD ARCH 16

post-1695-0-29950800-1439694886_thumb.jpg

The issue you're seeing is called z-fighting, and is usually caused by the model being far from the model space point of origin (0,0,0).  It can happen with very large terrain plots.

What is happening is your video card is trying to render each layer in the roof, but the distance between layers is so small it cannot tell which layer is in front of the other.  Normally, if your computer CAN tell which is in front, then it clips the material that is behind from view.  It is a long and complicated story why z-fighting happens, but the short story is that number accuracy is lost when computers do math to very large (binary) numbers.

How to fix it?  Move your model closer to the model space point of origin and/or upgrade your video card drivers.  You can search this forum and knowledge base for the term "z-fighting" to see other suggestions how others have solved their issue with it.

Hope this helps. :)

try changing the Default camera clipping distance to 300" from 24" , this is pretty standard z-fighting as mentioned and this is the fix especially for large terrains which forces the Cameras far away from the house in Overviews ....just using a Full Camera instead of overview (if possible) can help too. as can changing the OSB Roof Sheathing to the same material as the Roof if needed.

M.

Ok, thanks all, I'm adding you all to my friends' list! :D And especially you, JoAnn.  ( LOL. ) Anyway, I just watched David P's youtube video on zfighting, and followed his instructions and that did the trick! What a wonderful bunch you all are!! :rolleyes:  :)