How to create an angled Brace?

CrossFireDesign

Hi I'm modeling an existing house and have been attempting to create a common angled brace (shown in red on attached image "brace.jpg") The 58deg. brace supports a roof overhang on both sides of a Entry pad.  Bracing is common for; my application, Barns, Pergolas, Knee bracing for decks etc. So I thought adding a brace would be simple. I may be  wrong however,  everything I've found suggests not. There's nothing similar in framing and I've checked Decks, Soffits, backsplashes.

One Home Designer video suggests using a soffit for an exposed beams, which I had trouble grasping and could not replicate, and a couple others suggest using a backsplash. The Soffit version produces a long parallelogram, but what I need is an long irregular trapazoid, or perhaps just a simple 2x 6 that I can rotate into position?

Unfortunately and contrary to what was demonstrated in the attached video, once I created the brace and attempted to move it off the Prerequisite temporary wall, or remove the wall, it would just disappear,  see red oval in attached  "brace.jpg"  where the foot of the brace disappears. How it that the simplest things seem so hard to accomplish?

The closest I've been able to accomplish was  using the backsplash as explained in this very helpful Forum video;    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5DqaS7_FQ  

and this one; https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/6286-create-angled-slabbeam/?_fromLogin=CA3

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Braces.jpg

Do it with a sloped soffit and play around with the dimensions (width, height, length) to get the size you want. It is very simple if you understand how the tool works. Plus you can change the material to what you want it to be. You won't get your trapezoid shape, yet you can bury the square part behind the items it butts to so it shows in display correctly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CrossFireDesign said:

create a common angled brace.

Did you now that the Core Catalogue library of goodies has a folder of various shapes - I use a vertical cylinder sized to 75mm diam(3") and 

the cylinder can be rotated in 3D window or elevation, angled off a wall to its head restraint - into place to suit your needs on the house model;

Pretty cool eh?

When selecting the cylinder in elevation or 3D camera view just click on it - and the little triangle will appear which lets you rotate it

to suit your needs.

This suites my feature exposed bracing in the past.

Cheers.

If you want a square brace - use the square object - rotated and resized to suit.

• Like 2

Thank you both for the kind and helpful suggestions. You led me to right to the solution.

As I am modeling an existing house for a rebuild, and additions, I needed to show the existing overhang brace as a 2x6 rather than Cylinder, I also tried used a cube and re-shaped it to a 2x6 but found that when I tried to stack 2 of them together to create a fan shape, which I failed to mention in my first post, they would not merge. Even so working with the cylinder and cube  finally helped me overcome my prior inability to use the Soffit which had been baffling me. I was finally able to use the soffit function to place the brace and turn it into the fan shape that was needed. You both have my gratitude.  

Roof Brace.png