How to remove attic in single slope, open design

day4design

Hi all. I am new to the software and am designing a simple single-story rectangular house with a 3:12 single slope (shed) roof. The structure automatically displays a thin layer for an attic, though I want an open design (each wall should extend to the roof). I cannot find a way to turn off the display of that thin layer and it messes with my placement of the overhead windows that I would like to place closer to the roofline on the tallest wall. Does anyone know what settings to change to turn this "attic" off? Thx!885967375_atticissue.thumb.png.d719f5ce027ba9411147b26ec53754d0.png

Edit - Default Settings - Floors and Rooms - Floor One - Structure Tab - Uncheck "Ceiling over this room" to eliminate the flat ceilings to then have a common rafter vault situation.

If you simply wish to have a single room with a common rafter vault just open that room's Specification Dialog - Structure Tab and there turn off that room's "Flat Ceiling Over this room" check box.

DJP

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the quick response, David! I did follow your first suggestion and unchecked "Ceiling over this room" for my "First Floor" (where all my original walls were built), as well as a "Floor 0" that is listed also. But, the appearance hasn't changed. Because I am adjusting default settings, do I need to rebuild the walls (not a huge effort)? Note that on the main window, I see the level arrows which also show an "A" layer referencing an attic. I did not intentionally create that. Thx much!!! - Bob

For many questions, someone will need to know what software you are using -- Suite, Architectural or Pro, and the year -- 2013, 2014 etc.

Not all defaults are dynamic, that is, once something is drawn using the current default set, changing defaults will not change what is already there.

Reread what David said above to solve your problem, and let us know your software for the best answer.

Thank you, Eric. I suspect that the defaults were not dynamic. I will try to rebuild the walls and roof with the new settings (or just start fresh, the practice will do me some good). I am using Home Designer Pro 2024 (just downloaded it yesterday). Thank you!

15 hours ago, solver said:

Reread what David said above to solve your problem

What I was referring to is this: "If you simply wish to have a single room with a common rafter vault just open that room's Specification Dialog - Structure Tab and there turn off that room's "Flat Ceiling Over this room" check box.".

1 hour ago, day4design said:

it still wants to display an attic floor.

• Like 1

Eric, I can't thank you enough! Thank you so much for the video walkthrough!!! Very impressive in both response time and thoroughness of the resolution. Must have been the combination of the default settings (no ceiling) and turning the automatic roof build off before completing the exterior walls. Here is evidence that your solution worked on my end. Thx again!!! - Bob1106907964_atticissue-resolved.thumb.png.0a10edcd0dec46645eb60bde70de8a9a.png

5 minutes ago, day4design said:

and turning the automatic roof build off before completing the exterior walls.

That has nothing to do with the problem. It's just annoying to me having all the automation turned on -- roofs, dimensions, framing etc.

Just set the defaults and draw, or open the/a room and remove the ceiling. I've never seen this not work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1