Where to start?

Jerrykco

I have been working on this plan for awhile. There are many things that I need some help on or to learn more about. I am a newbie,. 

1. Vaulted Ceilings in the great room and the dining room. I would like to have glass all the way up on the north side for these two vaulted ceilinged 2rooms.

2. I wanted the vaulted ceilings to extend out over their respective porches and be open in the out the end of the vault.

3. Some of the exterior walls extend bricked into the Attic. I redrew them but can't get it to stop doing that.

4. On the roof over the front of the house which faces south, I will be installing Solar Panels which will be used to power the house. I plan on using LiFePo4 Batteries and wanted an ongrade slab floor room behind the Auxiliary Garage. But I couldn't figure out how to put a 3 sided room against the back wall of the Aux Garage. 

5. I grew up in a house in California in the 50's that was built built in the 30's that had a stepped ceiling with 2 steps around the outside of the ceilings of the rooms. only for the rooms that are not vaulted. I would like to do the same but haven't got a clue how to accomplish this.

6. I haven't started looking at the Attic but I am sure that will also lead to more questions.

That's it for now. I appreciate any and all help.

JK-12-pic.jpg

JK-12.zip

41 minutes ago, Jerrykco said:

1. Vaulted Ceilings in the great room and the dining room. I would like to have glass all the way up on the north side for these two vaulted ceilinged 2rooms.

2. I wanted the vaulted ceilings to extend out over their respective porches and be open in the out the end of the vault.

Vaulted ceilings are done in one of two ways: 1. simply turn off the "Flat Ceiling  over this room" on the "Structure Tab" of the room you wish to vault. This gives you a "Common Rafter Vault" where the underside of the roof planes become the "ceiling". or

2. You turn off the flat ceiling  and then add "Ceiling Planes" that you can manually adjust to emulate the interior vault (found under "Build - Roof - Ceiling Plane"

"3. Some of the exterior walls extend bricked into the Attic. I redrew them but can't get it to stop doing that."

The software is programmed to add attic walls you can delete them but the program will merely add them back, or you can make them invisible as you wish

"4. On the roof over the front of the house which faces south, I will be installing Solar Panels which will be used to power the house. I plan on using LiFePo4 Batteries and wanted an on grade slab floor room behind the Auxiliary Garage. But I couldn't figure out how to put a 3 sided room against the back wall of the Aux Garage. "

There are solar panel symbols available from the Home Designer Website for downloading and application.

"5. I grew up in a house in California in the 50's that was built built in the 30's that had a stepped ceiling with 2 steps around the outside of the ceilings of the rooms. only for the rooms that are not vaulted. I would like to do the same but haven't got a clue how to accomplish this."

Home Designer software has no trey ceiling tool like Chief Premier does so such a condition is created manually using the tools you do have. You use invisible railing walls to create a room within a room, each with differing ceiling heights to achieve the trey ceiling appearance.

DJP

I'll suggest, respectively, that you seek professional help with your design. I'm not referring to the use of Home Designer, but rather the overall design -- layout, flow, function and looks.

If you would like a free, unbiased review of what you have now, post the plan and elevations/renderings on houzz.com.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/building-a-home

First Thank you all for the responses.

Second I was going to contact a professional to get the plans professionally done.

I will review the suggestions and tips in the AM and look at posting it on houzz.com as suggested too.

I was merely trying to get a head start in my floor plan and use it to discuss it with my wife.

Again Thanks