Dormer addition leaves irregular shape on existing gable end wall.

VoxT3R

Hi all. Looking for a bit of help to rectify a house design issue I'm facing.

I've build a simple house, and made both ends gable ends to enable me to add a floating dormer.The dormer runs the full lenght of the house/roof. When I add the dormer, it won't let me build the dormer end wall directly above the existing exterior wall on the lower level. Because of this, I am left with an angled step that isn't there in the house I'm modelling from.

Could someone advise me on how to remedy this so the wall becomes flat by removing the triangular piece in essence.

I've attached a screenshot of the issue and highlighted it with an arrow. Hope it makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

VoxT3R.

house model dormer issue.png

1 hour ago, VoxT3R said:

Using Home Designer Pro 2024 btw.

You can help everyone by adding that info, Windows or Mac computer etc to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page (make the page wider if it's not shown), click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

Thanks

19 hours ago, VoxT3R said:

Could someone advise me on how to remedy this so the wall becomes flat by removing the triangular piece in essence.

That's not really a dormer so the dormer tool is the wrong choice. Do what Rookie65 said, and if you need the small roof to the sides and along the front, draw it in with the manual roof tools.

This video might help.

Hi Eric.

Thanks for the video. This really helped. I would like to mention though that the video outcome does help if you create a 2nd floor first, and apply the routine to a 2nd floor. I tried the video's method first, but found out that the dormer outside wall belonged to the first floor wall. This meant that when placing windows on the dormer outside wall, the windows actually ended up being on the first floor, meaning I had to changed the 'from floor' specs of them to push them up to the dormer level, but then when it came to changing the interior material of the walls, as it was one wall from the 1st floor, it did not work. I looked at pony walls, but decided to redo the whole lot with a 2nd floor before the above tutorial.

All sorted now, so thanks once again for your assistance.