Problem with newel post/ halfwall

BoDay1

I am running Pro 2024 and simply trying to put in a half wall.

The program insists on adding what I think is newel post where the half wall connects to the exterior wall.  I have deselected everything that has to do with railings and posts in the wall menu but it is still there.

Any suggestions?

Bo

Hi and thanks for responding,

I'm using Pro 2024 and, sadly, I don't know how to take a screen capture, but I would love to get your help.

I see that many versions of the program have a "screen capture"  in the "tools" menu.  But not mine.

Bo

Thanks for that But I realize what I am struggling with.

I'm drawing an existing space to prepare plans to convert it into an ADU (I'm a contractor in CA.  I'm new to this program but not new to designing and permitting various projects).

The existing space was once a garage and the stem wall is visible inside the space (Stem wall is about 6" wide, walls are about 4" wide) as a concrete curb roughly 2" x 2".  So I have drawn my space with this "flaw" since it is existing.

The issue is that the half-wall I am now drawing automatically follows the surface below (the finished floor)... so it pops up to follow the stem wall which is about 2" higher than the finished floor.

So my actual question is "How can I draw a halfwall that won't respond to it's location at all?"  Simply draw a wall and set it's height and elevation manually such that it will not link to any surrounding walls or auto adjust itself in anyway?

Also, how do I take a screen capture?

Also, how do I control the foundation?  I find that the program is auto-building foundation elements under my interior walls which is annoying.  Is there a default setting to stop the program from auto-building foundation elements?

Also, is there any paid tutorials/ support available?  I find that I am moving along OK learning this new program and then struggle with frustrating little details and I wonder if anyone would be available to help me with specific questions who I could pay?

thanks so much for any help, I realize I'm very new and my questions are likely uninteresting.

Bo Day

707-496-3095

Thank you for the help so far.

Just being able to share these images is a big step for me!

I think I understand enough now to ask my questions more intelligently. 

I'm designing a very small space so I'm working with Winder Stairs.  I watched a video that described a few ways to make them but it seemed like when there are very few treads it is easiest to build them using the "landings" tool so that is what I have done.

The winders seem fine... no problem.

But I want to partially contain them with that little half wall that I am noting with the red arrow.

Creating that half-wall has been a huge pain.

The railing really wants to follow the landings and create a "stepped" top.

I managed to get it close by using the railing tool and ensuring that the railing details were different from the wall that it touches (otherwise it links with that wall in an odd way).

But you can see that the railing is floating about two inches above the floor.  I believe it is automatically setting its elevation based on the top of the stem walls.

The stem walls you see inside this space are not an accident.  I'm working with a  client to upgrade a crummy garage/studio conversion that was done many years ago.  The top corner of the footing is visible inside the space.

How can I get that little wall to sit down on the floor?

Thanks,

Bo

Buttermilk DraftOne.plan

Butter railingwall floating.jpg

Butterrailingwall General.jpg

ButterSnip1.jpg

Buttermilk DraftOne.plan

And if I draw a half wall the two inches closest to the exterior wall follow the stem wall and the rest of the wall follows the floor so I get this maddening step in the wall.

I feel like my issues with half walls and the floating railing are related.

Bo

Butterhalfwall snip.jpg