How to attach a deck room addition's shed roof to the homes existing gable roof

eryanthus

Go to solution Solved by Jo_Ann,

I reviewed the helpful suggestions and information from Solver, Grechief and Jo_Ann, but have not as yet been able to achieve the desired result. Though I have learned a lot more about the program! Thank you in advance for any direction you can offer.

Specific issue:

I need to build a shed roof (A), on a raised deck addition.  The shed roof needs to connect into the home about halfway up the existing gable roof (B). The addition will be approximately 6 inches shorter at each end than the entire 30' length of the home, but the two roof ledges will match up.

1158422010_homesidesketch.thumb.jpg.b2547875b2db9fbe9a4e9c2671caadac.jpg

This picture from a neighborhood home is an example of what I am trying to achieve on the entire roof on a small entryway. It is a common style in the area on both front and rear patios and decks of various sizes.

1446857994_example1.thumb.jpg.66946c8bc3f2478d3022d9f21d7d2433.jpg

A picture of where I am on the project in Home Designer Pro.

1712587359_deckandhome.thumb.png.049f282b53610a4e5671118ae74ebb96.png

Rooms named "Deck" by default do not have a "Roof over this room". So you have to open the Decks specification dialog - Structure Tab - and check "Roof over this room" in order to have a roof auto-build. You should also look at the Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles Tab for how to set up the walls of a porch for a shed roof as well. It is you who has to figure things out, the software is merely a mechanical device that looks for its guidance from you and only you.

DJP

Thank you for the suggestions. The software is an extensive tool. I have/am putting in a lot of time learning to use it and expect to continue to do so.  Before posting my initial question about this issue I had found and used the deck "Roof over this room" box. I spent full day following the suggestions I received from my first post and am able to create a shed roof on the addition and can even attach the shed roof to the base of the homes gable roof (With video help from Jo_Ann). 

What I am sure is right in front of me somewhere but I could not find out after a full day of research before posting this is.  How do I make the additions shed roof, cut into / intersect /merge with, the homes gable roof about halfway up as in this sketch. 

1548029376_closeupofconnection.thumb.jpg.12c99e462d55a6d210024ce9b72bca8c.jpg

Another example from a local property of what I want to do. Join the shed roof with one side of a gable roof.

1850264834_secondexampleonfrontpatio.thumb.jpg.1fcb03a38a18c0c05fb9e702c60c4913.jpg

If you have any suggestions on doing this, or what part of the program I need to more fully research I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far. Changing the upper/lower pitch and a few other settings, and unchecking rebuild roof automatically, has gotten the project much closer to the desired result.

1241503161_soclose2.thumb.png.d3d38846d8198d501e8fca68cd860225.png

If anyone has a quick answer to this program notification it would be very helpful. I understand the English but not how to effectively proceed. Will be attempting to fix that after a late lunch.

"Warning

Changes made to roof framing defaults do not affect existing roof planes. For you changes to take effect either, rebuild the roof or

edit the existing roof planes."