Model Completed. Now how do I proceed to a builder?

fstrohac

Hi Jo , you have been busy :) ...nice Work as usual , looks like you got the issues I noticed too (above) and your new kitchen layout I like too, I could not figure out why there are two entrances under the Stairs myself, though if doing a Reno with a new kitchen and addition I'd be considering bumping that back wall out parallel with the Laundry , making the Laundry Room inside, and the Kitchen bigger.

guess you have been keeping the fact you are a Trekkie secret all these years :)

Mick.

The two entrances under the stairs are shown that way because that is the way the cabin is now. We access that little storage area from both sides. Not to say that has to stay that way. To me the remodel of the kitchen is a separate task from the addition. I might get voted down on this, but we'll see! As far as making the kitchen bigger, yes, we had considered this at one time, but what we need most is a downstairs bedroom and another bathroom. If we do too much, we might as well know the whole thing down and start over...don't want that. Too many fond memories of the old place. Thanks for you continued advice. Keep it coming, as long as you have time.

if the budget allows it Fred , it is far better to do all at the same time , while all the Subs are already onsite ...and the mess made....

Typically you would do an As-Built or Existing Drawings , then Do a Drawing of the Proposed New Work  ie what you have on plan now., that may not be required in your area though.

M.

• 1 year later...

I had a designer in mind, in the Phoenix, AZ area.  We exchanged a few emails.  When the emailing was all over and done with, he told me not to worry about the structural details because when I brought the plan to him for finalizing, he'd start from scratch anyway, draw it from the ground up, and still charge me by the square foot to draw it up. Thus, I would get no discount whatsoever for already having my idea drawn up.

Edited to add:  I now see this is an old posting, but maybe the OP can reply back how it turned out in the end.

Hello Debbie, Jo_Ann, Kbird1, and everyone who has helped...Here is a specific answer to Debbie, and a general one to all who helped back in 2015.

Debbie, I found a designer in Payson who works with my selected builder, a good old local boy who does great work. The designer took my Autocad file output from Chief Architect and did the official drawings. She gave me a discount, so that was great. However, after the drawings were done, I asked if she would do that again, and she said no, since it actually took her more time to correct all the anomalies and little problems she found. To me it is still worth while for someone to take the autocad file from my design to ensure accurate drawings, even if I have to pay the same amount as a from-scratch drawing set.

To all, especially Jo_Ann, if you're still online: Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! The cabin addition is finished and we love it! The kitchen layout recommended by JoAnn was shamelessly copied, and we love it. Two pictures of the completed cabin is attached. It was really cool to do the design, show it to our co-owner, tweak as needed, and then have it used by the drafter, then built. Using the Chief Architect software was great!

9e7e50cc-95bd-424a-b0f2-38b757a2b009.jpg

20150905_170451.jpg