Joining Gable Roof Planes (L-Shaped House)

RMR-Ethan

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Hello. 

I am new to the program but I have watched hours of training videos and regularly use the excellent in-program help system or the reference manual. In this case, I've tried to do my due diligence and I know this has to be simple and I'm just missing something easy, but alas, hopefully you fine people can point me in the right direction.

We have demolished our garage and are wanting to build a new garage and mother in law apartment seamlessly onto the existing house. We will be replacing the roof and siding on the existing house at the same time so everything should blend nicely. 

The problem I'm encountering is getting the roof planes to work out. In the images below, the existing house is at the top and the new garage and apartment runs left-to-right along the bottom. We want the front roof plane of the existing house to go all the way along the new addition, and this is reflected in the image. We want the other end of the addition to be a gable perpendicular to the gable of the rest of the house. They would meet at the ridgeline. This all works out as you can see in the screenshot. However, this leaves the open triangular pieces which need to meet the ridge (vertical in the screenshot) and form a valley along the other roof planes. I really can't describe this in words very well, but the screenshots should be self explanatory. The roof line is very simple, it is just my lack of knowledge of the program that is the problem.

Thank you kindly for any guidance you can provide.

1055103596_2021-10-0822_29_18.thumb.png.f4c201571f8a878bbe333f0474e21c56.png2060946772_2021-10-0822_30_29.thumb.png.d60706bff5398e570e8d8390bea60a80.png

Using the instructions available in the "Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles Tab" on how to set up for automatic roof generation for detailed help. You mark where you wish to have "Full Gable Walls" where each gable is to appear in their "Wall Specification Dialog - Roof Tab - Full Gable Wall" and then command that roofs are to be built using those instructions. When the settings are correct, the results will also be correct.

DJP

6 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Using the instructions available in the "Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles Tab" on how to set up for automatic roof generation for detailed help. You mark where you wish to have "Full Gable Walls" where each gable is to appear in their "Wall Specification Dialog - Roof Tab - Full Gable Wall" and then command that roofs are to be built using those instructions. When the settings are correct, the results will also be correct.

DJP

•  

Thank you. I can get it to work using the automatic roof generation. I was hoping to do it manually so that I could get it to match my other manually created roof planes which are built to the existing framing on the house. 

If I use automatic roof generation it changes existing attic walls and other specific framing that already exists. 

I might just have to automatically generate the roof to get the overall shape, and then go back and fix walls, framing, ridge line, baseline, etc on the auto generated planes.