How to create koi pond on a slope?

Katherine

Working on design for remodeling lakefront home that slopes toward the lake.

The best available place to put my koi pond is on a sloped part of the property.  I'm envisioning a pond that starts at ground level up hill and is contained by a wall downhill.  I can't figure out how to accomplish this.  I've tried using retaining walls, but they just don't reach high enough.  

I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I am not experienced enough with terrains to figure this out.  Help would be greatly appreciated!

I would use a custom slab object to emulate the level pool because terrain features follow the terrain and a pond is not sloped like the tilted gradient of a sloped terrain would be. The pool area is level in order to hold water, thus my choice of using a custom slab or one could create such a symbol using Free Sketch UP online software to then import into Home Designer Pro as a symbol object to then place as a symbol into your plan to emulate the pool you wish. Either method should reasonably work.

DJP

I think that you need to elaborate more on what your idea of a "pond" is.  Maybe post a jpeg of something similar.

It would also be helpful to say what depth of the slope you are talking about, and post an image of what you have done in the program so far.

Thanks David and Jo Ann.  I've spent most of today trying to get the effect I'm looking for.  I'm working with a rectangle, but ideally it would be a more natural shape.

In addition to trying David's suggestion about using a slab, I've also fiddled around with following directions to create an egress window and using raised areas in the terrain.  I went back to the slab approach, but am struggling with how to create an area around the pond to include rocks and plants and such.  

I also want to make a path around the pond and down the hills to the water for my wheelchair.   

Attached are some screenshots of what has happened.  Thanks so much for your help!

Lakehouse pond.pdf

Do not post a pdf.  I asked you to post a jpeg.

Use the rectangular feature (need to set the correct depth) for the basic "recessed into the ground" pool.  The rectangular feature can be changed to any shape.

Then use the slab. You need to fashion it into a wall. Use several, if that is easier for you.  It can be straight or curved.  It's easier to raise or lower the height and position of the "wall" in the 3d view.

13 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Use the rectangular feature (need to set the correct depth) for the basic "recessed into the ground" pool.  The rectangular feature can be changed to any shape.

This rectangle is following the ground level, which is sloped.  Is there a way to make it horizontal at the uphill ground level like the slab?

???  "This rectangle is following the ground level, which is sloped."

Um...that is the general idea for the "pool", because you said the "pond" would be set into the slope.

You really need to start posting the images that were asked for, because otherwise, this is all a big guessing game.

I created a slab of water and surrounded it with slabs of wall.  I am considering creating a deck around the pond, but haven't decided.  Lots of drawbacks.

This is what happens when I use a rectangular feature.  If I recess it into the ground it still follows the slope.

9 Rectangular feature.jpg

Ah, I see what you mean!  I was not thinking about the bottom.  That does look much better than my solution.  

Did you surround it with a wall or slab?  And how did you put the water in the pool?

I'm sorry if I'm not communicating effectively.  This is the first time I've done anything with the terrain, and my learning curve is still steep at this point.

How deep will the pond be, at the end nearest to the door?

At the south end of the terrain...how far down does that slope? (8', 10'?)

I'm trying to replicate your plan more accurately.

First you must set the rectangular feature depth, then shape the rectangle to what you want.

THEN shape the slab walls around the rectangular feature shape.

A flat 6" slab was used for the water.