Greenhouse / Conservatory

Baphijmm

Hey there! Tried to do a quick search through the forums and didn't see much helpful information towards this end; information on this topic in what I've seen of the help files doesn't help much either.

I'm looking for some sort of hint as to how to properly create / design an attached greenhouse, though I suppose part of the structure would be more like an older Victorian-style conservatory. Panels would eventually be multi-wall polycarbonate, but plain glass is fine for now, for the simple purposes of modeling. The idea of the structure is that it would be on a split level, accessed from a stairs landing to a basement, so it's partly underground (and that portion would be standard foundation walls); the above-ground portion would probably be panel and metal construction. Leading from the house is a small "path"-type room with a typical hipped roofline, connected at a peak on the house side, and leading to a wider, taller, square greenhouse chamber with a fully-hipped roof, such that the "path" room's peaked roof extends itself over the hip roof of this room until the square room's roof goes higher. (This is difficult to describe; I'm including an exported picture of the basic structure.) I'd like it with no eaves, but I'm having difficulty with that as well. I've already created the structure itself in the program, but what I don't know how to do is turn that structure into something remotely resembling a greenhouse. About the best I can muster is a building that looks like just the rest of the house (which is more Mediterranean) but with a bunch of windows, and skylights that don't extend along the roof properly at the angles.

Running Home Designer Pro 2017. I can upgrade to the latest version, and do intend to eventually, but this might be a little ways out. So, if what I'd like to do necessarily requires that upgrade, that's fine, but for now it'd be nice if it didn't, and someone could point me in the right direction.

Is this something this software can do?

greenhouse.png

Except for the roof, that looks like standard construction -- walls with windows.

For the roof, change the structure to be thin like the glass and materials to Opening No Material and glass.Use roof framing for the battens. Build the roof thicker, build framing, then build the roof thinner so the framing protrudes.

You have to guide the software to an acceptable result, especially for something like a Greenhouse. The roof planes must be set to emulate actual greenhouse roof planes in appearance. As Eric suggested the walls must also be ordered to be thinner to emulate actual greenhouse type glass walls. It is a bit of careful planning and execution on YOUR part to get that done.

18 hours ago, Baphijmm said:

Is this something this software can do?

Yes but it is YOU and NOT the software that creates any desired effects.

DJP

2 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

You have to guide the software to an acceptable result, especially for something like a Greenhouse. The roof planes must be set to emulate actual greenhouse roof planes in appearance. As Eric suggested the walls must also be ordered to be thinner to emulate actual greenhouse type glass walls. It is a bit of careful planning and execution on YOUR part to get that done.

Yes but it is YOU and NOT the software that creates any desired effects.

DJP

I appreciate this fact; however, what I am lacking is a knowledge of how to do that. So far, Eric's been pretty helpful; I'm kind of stumbling through it, because I honestly don't know enough about... anything I'm doing, but I'm getting there. Things like, the lookouts still being present even though I've alternately disabled them or trimmed them down as small as they'll go, or the framing not rendering.

Alright, after much finagling, I think I've got it mostly okay. There's still a weird issue where the terrain is showing in the room even though it's defined as part of the basement to avoid that, but it's not nearly as big an issue as simply trying to get this structure to look halfway correct. Thanks again.

greenhouse-new.jpg