Dormers

JTMSonny

I need some help and direction.  I understand floor plans and the basics.  I'm a user for about 6 years.  I draw existing houses and try to get them as accurate as possible.  I struggle with roofs  and today dormers.  I can place a dormer in the attic without issue.  I want to place it on the 2nd story, but the roof starts on the first story.  Think shoebox with and 8/12 pitch, with a smaller second floor.  When I add the dormer the interior walls of the second story return to OSB.  If I take the dormer away the room returns to sheetrock.  Can someone point me to some specific videos or help?

Thank you. In Eric's example you can clearly see that he moved the first floor bearing roof plane up a floor to the <A> or attic level to then place the dormer which this action then separates by a floor the dormer walls and the first floor walls. I think that is the KEY to your problem. We all have to deal or figure out what is workable and not workable (not within the programming of the software and what within programming parameters), it IS part of everyone's learning curve.

DJP

My example above has the roof built off the 1st floor walls, and shows the dormer built on the 2nd floor. Suite lacks the option to change roof planes.

For best help, post pictures (screen captures) and the plan file.

With Pro, there should be no problem with placing dormers as wanted, or just building your dormer manually.