HomeSara

gable over alcove

I'm trying to place a gable roof over my front door that is recessed from the exterior wall.  I've tried designating the roof over this wall as gable.  Also I've tried the gable tool where you draw the line on the existing roof line to create gable in that spot.  Neither is working.  I've tried to make a gable using the plane tool but not skilled enough to figure it out.  I am using home designer pro 2020.  I want the gable to extend out as far as the gables at the ends of the house do.  Basically I'm trying to create a covered porch. The gable in the picture was created by the roof plane tool but is incorrect because of height the edges are angled and won't join with existing roof.  I've tried watching many videos online too, but still can't get it. Thanks.

20191210_095622.jpg

20191210_100114.jpg

Answers often depend on which title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding that info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

And please use a screen capture tool to create your images. Windows has the Snipping Tool, a Mac has something similar.

There are several ways to do this.

Draw a Room Divider across as I've shown here and set it to be a Full Gable wall.

ht1.thumb.png.08ac5dc0d3255a0a13f25bd3bc5e7dd6.png

If the porch is already created, then use the break wall tool for that section. Break the wall in two places or extend the porch walls

out to create a  room.