Need help with DWG and DFX elevation data

Plainwacky

I would like to display the elevation of my terrain so I can see how my home design would "fit" and also allow me to do some landscaping. 
I have both the DWG and DFX files. 

My understanding is that Home Designer doesn't allow DWG Files to be imported, so the Civil Engineering sent me the information in DWG format. However when I went to import I was told my tech support that I needed the blocks expanded. I haven't a clue what that means and I'm over my head. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

You might try some of these applications to convert "DWG files to .dxf file format:https://www.bing.com/search?q=dwg+to+dxf+converters&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Most of the rest of us commonly use imports of scans of topography lines and then trace over those graphic lines with "Terrain Elevation Lines and Splines" to obtain a reasonable terrain plane. Terrain planes created by GPS or other direct import of such data often then create such a complex terrain plane that it is hard for most people's PC or Mac to handle the resulting 3D face count of the resulting terrain plane so produced. You can get reasonable results keeping it simple so the result is then worth having and working with.

DJP