Interior Wall as Stair Handrail

WEJJR1

I'm using HD Suite 2019, laying out my home for a remodel. The existing stairs in my home use a wall cut at the same slope as the stairs as a handrail on one side. I have messed with the all the stair, wall and half-wall tools I can think of to get a "reasonable" representation of how it looks in 3D, though not at all accurate as to how it is built.

My question(s): Is there a way to construct an interior wall that is higher at one end than the other in HD Suite? If not, is this ability available in HD Pro? Or, maybe I am missing something?

The picture below should be a wall without the circled recess. I've uploaded a plan file of the house with only the stair area I'm referring to modeled. Thanks in advance for any help.

stairs.thumb.JPG.1bebbd8aedd1480797bcb0b2230404d2.JPG

Stair-Question-WEJJR1.plan

Thank you for your quick reply, sir. Forgive me as I'm not particularly forum savvy.

I'm not sure if the Help, YouTube and Knowledge Base links you gave are for my original post or my signature issue. I assume it's for my original post. I have already spent quite a few hours trying to find an answer or method to my question using those resources, hence, that's why I'm on the forums asking.

I guess I'll assume the answer is no and move on. Thank you, again.

Hi Bill. My post above is generic and posted when I see a new user.

I don't have a copy of Suite 2019, so cannot give specific help right now, but I did look at your plan. Thanks for attaching it, and making it specific to your issue.

As you know, you are seeing the gap between the panel you are using for the railing wall and the wall below.

Here I moved the wall below so it aligns with the panel, then placed a soffit (shown in white) to cover the gap. It's seamless when left as its default drywall.

ht1.thumb.jpg.1ce88f389df5a40b97c0f3cb1df1749f.jpg

If I remember, Pro has a Wall Follows Stairs setting that uses a railing wall set to Follow Stairs.

Stairs generally need lots of work, even in Chief Premier.

• Like 1

Eric - Cool, I'll see if I can get something to work using your suggestion. It looks promising. I've got about 80% of my floor plan complete - much more than the plan I uploaded. The real stairs are going to stay the way they are for the house remodel, so getting them modeled exactly is not essential to me. Just as long as the 3D looks good. It's just a personal quirk to spend too much time trying to fix things like this.

I didn't even think of using a soffit to fill the gap. I'll post how this works out later. Thanks, again!

Thank you, Jo_Ann.

It is almost what I want to see. The stair rail does not terminate at the ceiling, however. There is an approximate 2' open area between the rail and the opening to the second floor. See green area in stair plan picture. The railing configuration in the short 90 degree stair leg is the same as the main stair. I'll continue to work with your suggestion and Eric's to come up with an acceptable solution for myself. I appreciate the tips and thanks again!

Stairs-Looking-Down-From-Floor2.JPG

2stairs.JPG

I see that you have the 'open below' room on floor 2 configured correctly to show the stair railing not connecting to a ceiling.

So, have you figured out how to get the upper stair (2 steps) solid railing, with out having the wall connecting to the floor?

In your pic, it looks as though you have? 

image.thumb.png.8516c035e3483aefe0526c24e7df06c7.png

You know, the picture actually looks like what I want. I just grabbed it to show the space that exists between the solid railing and the open area from upstairs without really looking close. I'll be darned if I know why the 2 step railing looks good in the picture. I reload my plan and it doesn't look quite like that.