worst case scenario?

warrenwest

Hi, me again.

This time I attempted to close the program and was met with this message ( attached )

I can't seem to find ANY trace of the plan I was working on for the last 2 weeks ! Only the name of the file exists. Tried restarting and all the basic moves but nothing. Think Im gonna cry :(

and no, no back up was made yet.

post-794-0-47348300-1412785307_thumb.jpeg

Where did you save the plan on your computer?  Have you tried navigating to that location to find it, rather than just trying to find it in the Recent Files list in the software?

If you don't know where you saved the plan, can you search in the operating system for the name of the file? 

Have you checked the software's Archives?

• Upvote 2

Exactly ! I have calmed down to a panic now :) Thanks for the speedy response. I had visions of pulling an all nighter again trying to get the plans to the client by tomorrow. So the original file location contains zero data but searching through the archive folder I discovered an auto_sav_bak version of the file which was 99% up to date :)

Thank you !!

Just as an aside, I lost an entire hard drive back in 1999 which then contained four years of plan files. So since then, I keep my plan files on a separate hard drive from my drive "C", I have a software program that backs up those files to a third hard drive constantly as I work and I use Carbonite to back up that to a remote location. In other words I do not intend to lose any more files.

I have heard end users blame the software and or Windows for diverse reasons but in the end only you are responsible for success or failure based upon what you do or fail to do.

DJP

David is correct ,not being able to write to the Hard-drive can be an early indicator that you have a failing hard drive ,so I wouldn't ignore it, though I'd call or email tech support too and refer them to this thread and your warning message too.

M.

Thanks again for the much needed info. I'm back on track but Mick, that's the most terrifying scenario regarding hard drive failure. I have just invested in a 27' imac for this very purpose. Only 2 weeks old ! Surely not hard drive failure?

Will send the link to tech support and see what they say.......