Importing 3D Symbols - Help Please!

Kristine

I've recently encountered a strange new problem with most symbols from the 3D Warehouse.

Either they are incredibly disjointed and/or the materials are all wrong. These are symbols I have previously used with no problems. Find image attached showing the exact same symbol - one imported a few weeks ago (left) and one imported today (right).

I used to be able to use almost any symbol from the 3D Warehouse with no issues. Now I can barely use any at all!

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue may be? I really don't understand why symbols work perfectly in Sketch Up though not in Home Designer.

I am using Home Designer Pro 2016.

Symbol Example.jpg

Just wanted to add, I've been experimenting. Downloaded all SKP versions of this particular object: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/u86a44ae0-14ae-48fa-9080-dd4c94ce8819/Factory-Modern-No-4-Sconce.

2014 and 2015 were able to be imported however they are disjointed (see image attached - bulb and cage are separate and not connected to actual light). 2016 and 2017 were not able to be imported. This is the message I received: "This SKP file was created in an incompatible version. Unable to import".

Just wondering if anyone might be willing to try importing the same symbol (as linked to above) and let me know if they experience the same thing? It would be greatly appreciated.

Light.jpg

I downloaded the skp symbol in question with no difficulty and it looks as expected inside Home Designer Pro. The thing I have noticed about Sketch Up Files is that they are certainly "Free" but Sketch Up also does not apply ANY quality control over these free symbols. That means that you and I must be the QC people. I commonly discard several .skp files when I am trying to acquire a new symbol, I have to commonly download several and evaluate them to find just one that is acceptable. I do not consider this unusual or a bug, rather it is people just being people.

I have also observed, as you have that which version of Sketch Up to import makes a difference, which is again a hit and miss proposition for me as well. It just seems to come with that turf.

DJP

skp.jpg

Thanks so much for replying. Yes, I am aware that the 3D Warehouse is a free resource with no QC and I too often discard symbols which don't work properly. Like I mentioned and have shown however, certain symbols which worked for me two weeks ago have suddenly gone haywire, and whereas I could previously use most symbols now I can barely use any at all! This is a big problem for me as I use HD for interior decorating consultations so sorely need more than what is merely offered in the core library.

Surely if we are using the exact same program and this exact same symbol works for you though not for me there must be some kind of bug? What is the other explanation?