Trying to open Home Designer Suite 6.0 files error

StevenR

I have plans created in Home Designer Suite 6.0. I just purchased Home Designer Architect 2018.

I am trying find how to open my existing plans. I was told they would open.

On the File Open screen, the file type is set to *.plan.
My previous version created *.PL# where # was 0, 1, 2 for basement, first floor and second floor respectively.

I read an KB that said I should open the first floor but it fails just like the other two with the same error.

Here are the steps I followed (NOTE: At this time, I am still on the trial version while I wait for my activation codes. Maybe that has something to do with it)

- In order to open the old plans, I have to enter a ^ in the file name field to see the old plans files.

- I select the .pl1 file and it attempts to open it.

-This results in the error:

"Unable to read the file "C:\Users\Steven\Documents\Home Designer Plans\xxxxxxxx\New Deck Plan.PL1". This file does not have a valid header record."

Showing details I get:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\19\chief\source\DocumentFactory.cpp(413): Warning #272015538

"Unable to read the file "C:\Users\Steven\Documents\Home Designer Plans\xxxxxxxx\New Deck Plan.PL1". This file does not have a valid header record."

6/15/2017 8:59:56 AM

Build: 19.3.0.49x64

The "Check Knowledge Base" link was no help. It pointed to an article to help you open corrupted files from an improper file close operation and steps you through opening archived files.

I did find the KB article that "should" work, "Opening a Prior Version Plan File" KB-00410". This one tells me to open the .pl1 file. But, that doesn't work.

PS>The files still open fine with HD Suite 6.0.

I am running Windows 10

Anyone have an idea?

Steve

Whatever Chief says, I can most likely help you as I have all versions of Home Designer back to version 7 on my PC (I also have versions of Chief Premier from18 back to Version 7). As I understand it Chief Architect Inc's explanation for this is that retaining the ability to open "Legacy" or antique plans makes the software unnecessarily complicated. The last versions with the ability to open old or antique files was Home Designer 2017 versions and Chief Architect Premier version X8. I am sorry if you were somehow misled.

Post one of your old .pl1 etc files here and I will see if I can in fact help you. Be sure you upload the plan file's .pl1, .pl2. .pl2 and .pl0 files and any .ca files as well. In the old days you would have to have all such files to successfully convert them to the new file format (.plan )

DJP

For your info and for anyone else having this issue in the future....

When upgrading from such an old version, the use of an optional tool called X8 Viewer is required. In order to open older Home Designer Suite plans in the new version, the plans first have to be open in the Viewer and saved to the new .plan format using the X8 viewer.

I am not sure if you need authorization to retrieve this tool. They sent me a link to download it.

I must have posted at the same time as you DJP.

Thanks for the response. If it had not worked, I would have asked for your help.

The sales person apologized for not letting me know quick enough but were quick to resolve the misunderstanding and got me going.

Take care.

Steve

13 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

If you have not already done as they suggested you should now do so. Let us know if you then get a success by doing so.

DJP

Yep. Sorry, I guess I did not indicate that.

I did download and install it. My plans are now converted and working in HD Architect 2018.;)

Steve