Is Home Designer Pro 2015 Suitable for Creating Construction Docs?

andrewt

I realize that's probably a loaded question, so let me give a little background. I've been using SketchUp Pro and LayOut to design a house we're getting ready to build. SketchUp has gone totally wonky on all 3 of my machines, and the file I was nearly finished with now appears to be unusable. I've got the design of the house basically complete (including a partial set of construction docs produced and printed from LayOut), but I really need to produce an actual complete set of working construction docs for HOA approval, building permits, and construction.

I'm beginning to think that rather than continue monkeying around with SketchUp, I might ought to break down and buy a purpose-made piece of software to complete the project. I've downloaded and played with the trial version of 2015 Pro, and it seems like it will probably do the trick after I learn to use it correctly. However, back when I first started this project, I purchased a copy of Home Designer Architectural 2014 (not Pro) and later found that it wouldn't produce anything larger than 11x17 docs - which is not good enough for construction documents. Even my HOA requires 24x36 docs. I could print to PDF at 11x17 and then print on paper at 200%, but that seemed like quite a workaround. I ended up returning the product for a refund.

All of which brings me to my main question - is the 2015 Pro version suitable for creating real live large-format construction documents? Are there any caveats to be aware of? How does it compare to one of the "regular" versions of Chief Architect (either Lite or Pro)? I don't want to spend the money on Chief, but I also don't want to waste money on HDP2015 if it won't do what I need it to.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pro has the print limitation as well at 18x24 max so you still need to used PDF's at 200% if you need 24x36 (12x18@200%)

Do a search , there has been several discussions on CD's  in the past couple of months and how to print larger than 24x36 too if needed.

It is definitely possible ,though no doubt slower than Chief but at 1/5th the price ,cheaper to do yourself than a Arch. if you have the time and inclination.

Mick.

You can set you your layout file, in Pro 2015 for 18x24 or 11x17 and then print that to PDF, take the results to a print service for up-sizing to 24x36 or 36x48 by just planning your content ahead accordingly.

Home Designer Pro has the basic tools, it just takes additional steps to do what Chief Architect Premier does natively.

DJP

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am using HD Pro currently and creating construction docs at 24x36. The program does not come set with this size, but it can be created.

From your Layout, PRINT --> Customize sheet sizes... Then you can create an ARCH D at 24 x 36. Just send them to PDF (as the print destination), then you can save the file and get them to a large printer.

The thing to pay attention to is that once you link a Plan and its camera views to a Layout, you can't move files around or rename them. And it wants the files in the same folder. But it's a live link between your camera view and the Layout. So you can continue to make changes and they will be reflected in the Layout.

That may be a lot of detail for you if you have yet to interact with the program, but the short answer is, yes, you can use Home Designer Pro for large format plans.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps you are doing it differently ? but I'm not sure you need to customise anything really if printing to PDF (recommended) , all the sizes should be in the drop down boxes provided , you just can't choose a paper size larger than 18x24 in PRO  ( 11x17 in lesser versions) in the Select Printer Paper Section but it is fairly easy to get 24x36 PDF's and Print them at a Copy Shop or yourself.

My Photo Printer will do 11x17 ,  ( or 12 x18 or 13x19 but cheap paper is hard to find in these sizes)    which is tabloid size and places like Staples sell it cheap , so doing it this way allows you to print your own if you want .....the PDF comes as (4) 11x17 pages which you can tape together on the marks provided.  

If you want 1 page 24x36 ( or 22x34 )  you need to print the PDF on a 12x18 page  (or 11x17)  then have the Copy Shop upscale the PDF to 200 % which is why the drawing scaling should always be 1:1.    *** note that if you send to layout  at 1/8" scale on a 12x18 page at 200%, when printed the scale will be 1/4"   so figure in your 2X size to get the reqd scale on your final Print.

NOTE  that Adobe Reader usually sets the default print size scale to 95%/Shrink to Fit , so you need to change that to None/100% to print at your desired scale or you wont be able to measure of your drawings.

24x36

post-25-0-15587900-1408825494_thumb.jpg

22x34

post-25-0-83314700-1408825509_thumb.jpg

12x18  Then print at Copy Shop @200%

post-25-0-57214800-1408825521_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Andrew,

I have used Home Designer Pro series for business use since Pro 8. I have never had a Permit application turned down for using Arch C size. See www.crowhurstdesign.ca for sample drawings.

I never change the size at print shop stage as it may make the scale slightly off.