Mac OS: 2-3 Minute Software Hangs

mholmes

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded to HDP 2015, which I'd been running on my Mac using Bootcamp/Windows.  It's very nice to have HDP running natively on my MacBook Pro.

It's basically working fine, but I do have a strange issue that I'm discussing with tech support now; I'd love to hear if anyone else is seeing the same thing?

In a nutshell, several times a day, the software will freeze, showing the spinning beach-ball, for 2-3 minutes.  If I wait long enough, it will always come back as though nothing happened.  I can find no pattern to the timing, activity, tool, function, etc. that I'm using: it appears random, but happens several times a day.  During the freeze, Activity Monitor will show the app in red, listing it as 'Not Responding', which usually means it's dead.  But it always comes back.  

Anyone else seen this?  I'm running a MacBook Pro that is several years old, but with the current OS and HDP 2015.

- Mark

• 1 month later...

This happens to me constantly on my Mac. It is extremely frustrating. It happens even with the trial version of Chief Architect (I have HD Suite) which I downloaded just to see if it was a consistent problem. It occasionally causes the program to crash completely and I have lost work. I'm running a MacBook Air i7.

I have just switched from PC to iMac about 2 weeks ago and have not encountered any such issue yet. Maybe the macbook can't handle the graphics as it has no dedicated video card? This was one one the reasons I chose the iMac but Im definitely no IT expert.

ntiliff,

Are you running Mavericks?  I noticed a huge slowdown in general tasks after upgrading.  If you search Apple's forums, you can see many other people have experienced this; their solutions are quite varied... but generally an area to look at is the amount of RAM.  I just upgraded from 4gb to 16gb, and it seems to help.  How much do you have?  

warrenwest,

MacBooks do have dedicated graphics, they're just not typically as powerful (or upgradeable) as desktops.  And this type of long, intermittent hang is not typical in my experience with slow graphic cards and chips... you'd normally just get slower rendering (or outright render aberrations or failures, which I've seen too).  Seems unrelated, but hard to tell, as I can't reproduce it reliably.

Chief Architect was responsive to my questions regarding the 3-minute hangs, but had no useful solution.

Mark