Large 2016 HD Pro Files Run Slow

TCHIDACON

I've been a user of Chief Architect HD Pro versions 2014/2015/2016 and run the application on a high end gaming PC notebook with 16G of memory. 

Off and on over the last 3 years I've been working on a site development plan.  I've noticed as the plan has reached its point of completion in the last 2 months the file has been running progressively slower.  The problem became most apparent once the terrain data was adjusted, with the insertion of elevation and section views into the floor plan.

The plan is somewhat complex with 3 structures in including a 2 storey house with basement, a detached garage built slab on grade and 1.5 storey detached workshop with secondary suite in a mezzanine above the workshop floor.  The site has sloped terrain which allows for the development of a three level walkout  From the house main floor at the top of the slope, form secondary suite midway down the slope, and from the workshop floor at the bottom of the slope (see the attached 3d perspective view). 

I've read posts from 2015 that identified a similar problems but there was no real determination how to rectify the problem.

Has anyone drilled down on the problem further to determine any potential solutions? 

Also I'm wondering if I've tapped out the Home Designer Pro software application reaching its  resource limit, in particular for 3d rendering.  And if so would upgrading to the Architect X8 product solve the problem.

Thanks, PH 3D Perspective West View - Plan Date Mar 15, 2016.pdf     

The more complex the plan the more 3D faces that have to be located per second. Anything but a super computer will tend to slow down under a heavier load, it is just a matter of physics and is to be expected. There may be some not obvious reason but I would have to have a copy of the file to explore hidden causes. The first consideration is size and complexity.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Hi David,

I agree that the complexity of the plan is likely the reason for the slow 3d rendering response.  To verify that I loaded a very simple non complex plan and it runs smoothly while renders in 3d views.  So I've likely pushed the limits of what the software can handle in terms of file size and plan complexity.    

Do you know if there is a software application performance difference between the HD Pro and X8 product lines?  That is, would X8 handle large complex files better than the HD Pro product line?

Allan

The performance level will vary for several possible reasons:

1. the quality of and how well the hardware of a computer works, even in Mac's this is an uncontrollable variable

2. The habits, maintenance and behavior of a computer user directly effects overall performance (some people just have a low affinity and responsibility level towards mechanical devices and it tells on the controlled devices). Some have such a high affinity level for something that that something rarely breaks where as other just look at something and it breaks)

3. The competence and professionalism of the end user directly can effect how well a virtual construct acts; how a user understands how to use his tools can build in problems and slow a plan construct down (seen it time and time again).

DJP

Yes there are many variables that affect performance of computer devices and software applications alike.

But with all things optimized which CA software has the better performance characteristics HD Pro or 8X and is there an appreciable difference between the two software platforms? 

As you can see in my "Signature" line I have lots of Home Designer and Chief Premier software on my PC. I have not noticed any large difference between those versions. Each Home Designer version is based upon the same engine for Chief Architect Premier version. I do know that end users get variable performance from time to time which I attribute to the "Three Reasons" I listed above. The end user is usually the most important factor, positive or negative.

DJP

Thank you, that's good to know regarding the CA software products are all based on the same platform.

With further investigation of my PC hardware I found the video card is likely the mitigating factor on why the 3d images render slowly (not user error). All other PC resources appear to be within acceptable performance limits.

A test that helped me arrive at that conclusion was to open the problematic floor plan file and bring up a 3d perspective view. Then make the image rotate continuously at a slow pace. At this point the image truncates as it rotates and renders. Next start to scroll the image up so part of it slowly leaves the screen. As it leaves the screen the image rotation starts to smoothen out. When just the bottom of the image can be seen on the screen the truncation is gone and the image moves smoothly as it rotates. That is a sign that the video card, at the point of smooth operation, has reached a level of capacity where it can finally render the image smoothly.

Time to update my hardware and hopefully that's the solution.

Time to update my hardware and hopefully that's the solution.

Please post to let us know if upgrading your hardware helps. I am particularly interested in this.

You did mention it is a laptop - gaming laptop, but still a laptop. While I do not upgrade my computers often, I did grow tired of using a laptop over a year ago. I ended up bringing a custom built desktop back with me, when I returned from the US last March. I did that, primarily, because I don't trust computer guys here in Cambodia, to work on my computers. (Previous experience from where they tried to rip me off by attempting to steal parts from a laptop.)

I may be wrong here. But, wouldn't a desktop computer have more available hardware upgrades, typically, than a laptop? I have seen some pretty high end video cards that I would think may help improve this issue? What I am thinking here is, you mentioned the laptop having 16 gigs of RAM. But, what sort of RAM are you running on your graphics card? I would think that would be more of what to look at? 

Just another view here.

IMO The difference between laptops and desktops has narrowed in recent years.  I run a 2008 Mac Pro with two quad core Xeon CPUs and a GTX 285 GPU.  I just purchases a laptop to run games and it has an Intel i8 processor and nVidia GTX 970M.  The laptop is faster because it is 2016 technology and the Mac Pro is 2008 technology.  Having said that I recently built a PC with the i8 processor and high end graphics card for my flight simulator and I can honestly say that the laptop is just as fast.

I don't know if it was coincidence but when I switched to Chief Premier from HDPro I found that it runs faster.

Alan