TomDesign

Import photo for a terrain

I see how we can import a photo to use to trace a floor plan, but is there a way to import an aerial photo to use for a terrain (or to use as a template to create a terrain?  My county website has a nice aerial photo, or possibly google earth could be used.

Tom

The hard part is a matter of scaling and of course orientating the image so it reflects a proper "North Pointer". Importing such an image is the easy part.

DJP

Are you saying that once imported, we can't resize the image?

Where do I import an image so it shows up in the terrain?  I can externally resize it and orient north before importing if needed.

Can't guarantee that it will look anywhere near as good as just modeling the terrain hills/valleys/plants/etc in 3D, but I you could import the photograph as a "Stretch to Fit" material, and apply that material to the terrain.  It may get fuzzy though, depending on the quality of the photo relative to the size of your terrain.

• Upvote 2

I had some success.  I was able to trace the driveway and some existing out buildings, and the outline of the lot. Thanks for the help.

Tom