offset center of roof

quesera

Is it possible to build a gable roof whose ridge is offset from the center of the structure? The walls on one side are different on each side- creating a larger overhang on one side. I've tried a number of different things, but eventually the ridge ends up in the center of the room. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

I use HD Pro 2016.

It sounds like you need to split the room where you want the ridge with a Room divider Wall and set the rooms either side of the Divider to two different ceiling heights  .....you can fix ceilings later if needed....

but as Eric said easier if we see a Plan and what you are trying to achieve....

M.

it should work like I said in Post #3 with an invisible wall where the red line is...... set RH side to 80" and LH side to 50"  for eg..( or whatever your knee wall heights are) and you should have an offset Ridge , do this before you do your interior walls etc or move them/delete them so you can build the Roof correctly then turn Auto Roofs Off .

If not post your Plan File ( HD File)  not a PDF of the Plan view , so setting can be checked , thx.

M.

Thanks for all your help. 

Yes, Jo Ann it does look kind of like that, except no partial wall at the end and there is patio outside not floor. I kind of tried what kbird suggested before and weird things happened. I am going to try starting from scratch and follow that advice. 

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

Thanks for all your help. 

Yes, Jo Ann it does look kind of like that, except no partial wall at the end and there is patio outside not floor. I kind of tried what kbird suggested before and weird things happened. I am going to try starting from scratch and follow that advice. 

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

Post your current plan file , and let one of us look at it ..... maybe no need to start again...

Mick.

Draw the porch using railing walls, set the rail tab to 'no rail', set 'large' posts, and set post to 'ceiling' or 'beam'.

Open the room dbx and set the room type as 'porch'.  On the structure tab, set 'roof over this room', use 'soffit for ceiling'.  You should now have a concrete floor, and posts to the ceiling (depicted in your pdf).

To eliminate the 'attic' end walls, make them invisible (on the attic level).

There Really isn't enough Info to build it 100% right  and I don't know what the other parts of the Roof should look like but here you go....

Note I didn't "fix" anything inside after I had to move it to make this fix work.  and Auto Roofs is still on , as you will need to set the heights Correctly so turn it off 1st , if you are going to start fixing the walls I moved etc.

This is a good example of why you should always build the Structure first with Roof . basement etc , then afterwards start the interior development , then start "decorating".

M.

post-25-0-57921000-1440641203_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-93114500-1440641195_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-98534700-1440641187_thumb.jpg

offset roof_MH.plan