Multiple roof pitchs

neil_L

Home Designer Pro 2016

I am working on a 1 1/2 Story home plan with a main roof pitch of 12/12.

I have a seperate roof on the first floor with a pitch of 6/12 intersecting the main roof.

When I use the Auto Rebuild Roofs it changes my 6/12 to a 12/12.

I have tried using the Roof Planes tool but have not been able to bring the roofs together.

Any help is appreciatedTest One.plan

Review the software Reference Manual and User's Guide on Roofs as well as the videos and Knowledge Base articles.

In brief, set the main Pitch (what most of your roof planes will be) in the Build Roof dialog.

Then, on an individual wall or railing basis, you can open their Specification dialogs and set a lower or higher pitch, different from the default, for the roof plane that will be building over that wall or railing.

You can find and read the "Reference Manual", it is found under the "Help" menu and is searchable by subject of interest. Basic data on auto-generating roofs of various types can be  found in the "Build Roofs" dialog "Roof Styles" tab.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Review the software Reference Manual and User's Guide on Roofs as well as the videos and Knowledge Base articles.

In brief, set the main Pitch (what most of your roof planes will be) in the Build Roof dialog.

Then, on an individual wall or railing basis, you can open their Specification dialogs and set a lower or higher pitch, different from the default, for the roof plane that will be building over that wall or railing.

Kat has hit the nail on the head with the advice above generally , though looking at your plan there will be the odd issue , like needing a Wall break on the long left side wall , but there is no need to use manual roof planes for this structure.... , you have also tried to put the roof planes for the 1st level (floor) on level 2.

your main floor is only 88" high? 2nd floor is 0" ?

the KB article on 1 1/2 storey homes may help too

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00358/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Automatically-Building-a-One-and-a-Half-Story-Roof.html

Here is the revised plan and some pics with instructions

Test One_R1.plan

post-25-0-19533500-1432751976_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-14320800-1432751993_thumb.jpg

Thank you Kbird

Not using the break wall tool first is where I was going wrong.

I was trying to change the pitch on the gable end wall.

I spent several days using the reference manual, users guide and the Home designers web site.

It is a matter of asking the correct question to finding the answers in the available sources.

My house was built in 1935 and has a ceiling height of 88 inchs upstairs and downstairs.

I had not changed the ceiling height upstairs after making the 1 1/2 story because I had redrawn the house muiltiple times trying to find the problem.

glad I could help , just mentioned the ceiling heights because you want to set that up correctly before you Built your Roofs , build the Roof after setting the ceiling on the 2nd floor to your Kneewall height , and after the Roof has built correctly turn off auto roofs (build roof DBX) and reset the ceiling height on the 2nd storey to 88".