How do I heighten front walls on top floor (without higher internal ceilings)?

twiseva

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Software: Home Designer Architect 2024.

Ok, novice here -- I am modeling our current home and have got most of the first two floors in the program. I am now trying to model the roof. One area that impacts how the roofs lie is a 'feature' on our house where the front wall of the main portion is higher (by about 4-5 ft) than the garage portion. Any thoughts on how I do this in the program -- a 3rd (very low floor)? Something in the attic layer? Here is what I have so far with the section I need to heighten circled -- and a snip of the actual house frontage. Do I need 'pro' to make these kind of adjustments?

image.png.4f3f2353b1a43382617194a483b8acd1.pngimage.png.b577e08400ff660720cfaab52b925eb3.png

• Solution
18 minutes ago, twiseva said:

Any thoughts on how I do this in the program -- a 3rd (very low floor)?

That's what I would do using Pro or Chief because I can control floor and ceiling framing easily. Probably do this with Architectural too, but you will need to manipulate various dimensions to get the look you want.

With Architectural, I would experiment with using a thick ceiling finish. To increase that wall height, increase the ceiling height in the rooms, then add that same amount to the Ceiling Finish.

And please delete your thread on ChiefTalk via Moderator Actions near the top of the page.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/41697-how-do-i-heighten-front-walls-on-top-floor-without-higher-internal-ceilings/

You got it -- the trick we the "ceiling finish" in those front rooms. Great! Thanks again. The front wall is not higher BUT the inside ceiling remains at the same level. Just what I wanted. Just copying some screenshots for others if they have the same situation below ...

image.thumb.png.1af05c26a32389dc2f3a79b8699d33ef.png image.thumb.png.8afa0920b9eaa50c325a9357b7d09b04.png

Yeah, it can do some 'odd' things so auto-build is definitely on most of the time. I have gone back to the drawing board multiple times (reset all wall types, delete roof, begin again) but every iteration I get closer and understand a little more on how the roofing/automation works! I am wondering if 'home designer pro' would help a lot here or not? I am assuming there are a lot more variables that can change, manual edits, and so on.