CMU walls - block alignment and top plate?

JonTheNewGuy

Hello kind folks,

I'm modeling an existing 20x27 garage, built with standard CMU wall to 8'8" tall (13 rows of 8" high blocks above slab). The walls have a 2x8 top plate, which the ceiling joists and rafters rest on.

Question #1:

In the 3d dollhouse view, the blocks look odd. For example, the mortar joints in the top of the wall don't align with the mortar joints in the face of the block, and the blocks in the side and rear wall look like they are split about 1/3 of the way in. See attachment 1. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Attachment1.thumb.jpg.4e3b45e0bfa2a58a59f8dbcc1d144b6c.jpg

Question #2:

The existing building has a 2x8 plate on top of the CMU wall. The attic rafters and joists sit on this. I'm not sure where to add this. I didn't see (or understand) what options to choose in the first floor structure dialogs, and I don't know if it should be added there, or in the Attic level. Any suggestions?

All suggestions, including links to documentation I have missed, is appreciated. I have also attached the .plan file. Feel free to give harsh feedback, it's how I will learn.

Existing Garage v3.plan

Thank you.

Existing Garage v3.plan

When you are looking at the block, you are really looking at an image that's wrapped around the surface. It's not a bunch of individual blocks.

For your top plate, make the walls a pony wall, with the upper wall 1-1/2" tall and only framing. You will need to adjust some settings, like the number of top plates.

1606944083_ht1.thumb.PNG.d9701474dfce8557ccff0c1beed7df78.PNG

Would it not add the 1 or 2 top plates when you build FRAMING?

1 or 2 based on your framing defaults where you can also adjust width & Thickness of top plate.

So keep your walls, Check the framing default and then build framing and see if it does not add wall plates.