Dormers protruding through the roof.

MississippiMims

I looked at it last night and all I could do was select both front walls at the same time, open the wall structure and checked default wall top. That cur the top of the walls but there are still issues with the bottom of the dormer walls leaving a gap between the dormer wall and the 2nd story wall. You can pull the bottom of the dormer wall down and close the gap. 

Thanks Gary.  I also tried the "default wall top" and you are correct, it does fix the gable walls.  But as soon as I make any changes, such as adding the porches, the walls revert back to protruding through the roof again.  I don't know what's up with it leaving the wall short at the bottom.  When you pull the wall down, it moves the window.  Then when you try to move the window back to the correct position, it leaves an opening in the wall below the window.  I think all of these issues stem from how the dormers where set up.  I had to explode them to solve another roof issue I had with the main roof so I can't go back now.  Dormers are so frustrating.  I wish there was a "rendering" feature that would automatically clean up some of these issues.

Thanks for your time.

2 hours ago, MississippiMims said:

Thanks Gary.  I also tried the "default wall top" and you are correct, it does fix the gable walls.  But as soon as I make any changes, such as adding the porches, the walls revert back to protruding through the roof again.  I don't know what's up with it leaving the wall short at the bottom.  When you pull the wall down, it moves the window.  Then when you try to move the window back to the correct position, it leaves an opening in the wall below the window.  I think all of these issues stem from how the dormers where set up.  I had to explode them to solve another roof issue I had with the main roof so I can't go back now.  Dormers are so frustrating.  I wish there was a "rendering" feature that would automatically clean up some of these issues.

Thanks for your time.

Yeh, I seen they were exploded and then if you delete the walls and roofs it leaves the hole in the roof that you can’t do anything with. I don’t use the dormer tools much because they have issues. 

Outstanding information.  I will spend some time learning to build dormers manually.  I agree this is an easy roof to build manually but I didn't have the confidence in working with dormers manually to attempt it.  I'm fixing to attempt the changes on HDP21.  I'll update when I get it cleaned up.  Thank you both for your generous time.

Gary:  The plan cleaned up nicely and I can now add porches without the dormers causing issues.  Thank you. 

Eric:  Once again, great information.  I drew a quick practice plan to work with manual dormers after your first video.  Doing dormers manually is much easier.  I had so much trouble getting auto dormers to work initially until I figured out that placing them in the attic seemed to solve most of the issues.  Auto dormers worked well unless they touched the front wall as these do.  Thank you.