Roof Slope "In from Baseline" Cannot Be Entered Between 0" and 40" Above Ceiling Height

mrecjohns

I am using Home Designer Suite 2021 and creating a barrel wall dormer (manually/faked-in using 12/12 pitch and 3/12 upper pitch to make it look close enough). See attached image for the problem and all the parameters of interest.

I have done this successfully for certain dormer ceiling heights and have been satisfied with the results (left images), but when I try to reduce the dormer ceiling height below a certain threshold, it no longer works as intended (right images). The "in from baseline" and "start at height" (~240") are way higher than the dormer ceiling height (~200"). It should be able to go all the way down to the dormer ceiling height (~200") and the "in from baseline" should be zero at ~200", not 240". It seems like a glitch where it thinks it is a 9' ceiling/wall, which I do not have anywhere in the house except for the basement stem walls.

Any help available?

Thanks,

Matthew

Screenshot 2023-09-15 070830.png

Hello Matthew!

From the information you provided, it looks like you may need to adjust your In From Baseline/Star at Height value. If you set your In From Baseline to be 0”, it’s going to cause the programs some problems trying to generate the roof.

The In From Baseline value determines where the upper pitch starts by defining the distance from the baseline (the exterior edge of the framing layer of the wall) to the upper pitch change. In your left image, you can see that the pitch change occurs between the wall and the middle, so you will have an In From Baseline value greater than 0” if you want the same shape with a lower ceiling height.

I would suggest looking at the In From Baseline value before lowering your ceiling. Then, once you lower your ceiling in the dormer area, change the In From Baseline to be the same. This should hopefully change the height down to where it needs to be.

I hope this helps!

Roy

Unfortunately, he problem is that the left hand image does indeed have a "in from baseline" value of 0, as shown in the image. You mentioned you thought it was greater than zero, which by the image, should be true... but it isn't what is entered, and that is why I'm making this post.

When I increase the in from baseline value from 0 to 12, it increases the height of the slope transition point even more--compounding the problem. It is almost as if there is a fixed height at which the slope must change regardless of dormer height. The program basically thinks my 7' dormer wall is 9' tall and it also thinks my 5.5' dormer wall is 9' tall--why 9'?

For visual reference, it is hard to tell, but you can see in both images the transition point is the same absolute height of 240". That issue happens if i enter 12 or 0 from baseline. 12 is just even higher than 0 for both images