Can't get dormer to build over lower outside walls.

BabboFinzi

This dormer tool is driving me crazy....

I'm not a dumb man by any means, but this dormer is beating me! All I want to do is widen this dormer so the left and right walls are sitting right on top of the 1st floor walls. It took me forever to get to this point. When I try to resize or drag the dormer side walls to the outside walls, I get this error...  "Cannot find walls for the room to which the back of this dormer should connect."

The other odd thing is this short "room" that showed up after I got the dormer to stick to the long shed roof. (You can see it in the glass house, about 1 foot below where the floor should be. BTW.. the front wall of the dormer is about 4' over the front enclosed porch. I've even built an invisible wall under the dormer in case that might help.

I'm building this for my 20 year old son's first house and want him to have it before closing so he can plan furniture, materials, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Lucas House Dormer Problem.jpg

Lucas glass house dormer.jpg

NW-view.jpg

Thanks for reminding me about including my software version in my signature. Done.

Can I ask... Will I even be able to create this type of dormer with Architectural 2021 or do I need to upgrade to either Architectural 2024 or even Pro?

If the upper "dormer" walls are aligned with lower external walls it is not a dormer but a just second story with first floor roof overhang running down the sides.

The front wall of this 2nd story room is cut by first floor roof they have option for that too.

just a roof detail. you can add with pro using custom roof planes.

I think if you look at the HD website and their resource center and training videos you will find one that explains how to do what you have.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:28 PM, y-g-m-n said:

--If the upper "dormer" walls are aligned with lower external walls it is not a dormer but a just second story...

About an hour or two before you posted your advice, I deleted the 2nd floor and thought about the design as separate roofs over separate rooms. Sometimes, you can't see the forest for the trees--I was concentrating too much on the hip roof as being a wide dormer and not as a standalone roof. 

I also used the soffit tool to connect the two 18" roof overhangs between the front porch shed roof and the upper/rear gable roof. Finicky, but at least it looks decent.

Thanks!

NW-view.jpg

Finzi Dormer Roof.jpg