CAD Interoperability

RAL6684

I am a Machine Designer and Often are asked by my customers to develop build models to better visualize our installations.  I purchased Home Design Pro a few years ago to do home renovation layouts for myself.  The power of the software is awesome and I would like to know if I can import from HDP 2021 to Solid Works and Back . . .  Also ther are many features of the industrial buildings that are not available in HDP 2021... I would like to be able to develop them and import for use in HDP 2021 . . . Looking for info / advise!

Thanking in advance

3D software is by default not easily worked by older versions to new versions. In other words a newer version can open, view and edit older version plan and layout files but older versions cannot open, view or edit newer versions of ".plan & .layout" files even though they are both made by the same company.

I am not familiar with what "Solid Works" will import into it but each type of CAD software does have their own restrictions as to what it will export or import in terms of file types.

Find out what Solid works allows as file type imports and check that against what Home Designer Pro offers as file type exports to see if there is any chance of two-way communication between your HDP and Solidworks.

DJP

not really as HD I do ont see HD exporting 3D.

It will import STL files but I never tried it.

you could use SKETCHUP and then get it into HD.

Why not use Solidworks and all its 3D tools to make pretty pictures?

I do this all the time to show others within our company who do not have 3d software what things look like from various angles.

Our customers do the same take our models and insert into theirs so make their model.

Autodesk has some expensive architectural software like REVIT and to make 3d objects for REVIT use FORMIT or some of the other titles they have.

Open that wallet though.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:30 PM, RAL6684 said:

We mostly use the Parasolid and STEP protocols for import / export - there are several other options - I will have to test some to see if I can get any usable results.

Call Customer Service for the straight infomation, is my advice.

DJP