Wall type definition error - drywall on the exterior

anymuon

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I have a half dozen wall types in my house so I am creating each one. I was updating the interior/exterior series on a wall type and got the following error msg. This is an interior wall. Help says no help on this topic. I deleted the wall, created a new one sans door and opening as an interior wall, applied my wall type defn and got the same error msg. I'm confused. Does CAP think this is an exterior wall. How do you change the wall type, delete and draw a new wall?

WallTypeExteriorError.thumb.jpg.b73763ae44db01a313aea339f5031932.jpg

DiningLivingWallError.jpg

WallTypeDefPlasterDrywall.jpg

It thinks the wall in question is an exterior wall so maybe room is not closed in yet?

IT warns you when youhave exterior wall snot to have DRYWALL on outside since well that is not a good thing when it rains.

Now there is a button thingy that when you have wall highlighted it will swap interior and exterior wall surfaces.

PS why do you have plaster under the drywall?

Is this an old plaster wall where they have studs and then put on horizontal lathe boards for plaster to "KEY" into? or something newer with a hardi-board on studs for plaster to be applied to?

I have never seen plaster applied to studs is all.

• Solution

The software is programmed in certain ways which creates some rather arbitrary situations. Part of learning the software is learning by trial and error what works and what does not. I am not sure but it probably lies in how you created your custom wall types and their layers. I have never heard of this being a problem in thirty years until  your post. Such error messages are merely annoying and unimportant, you can check "Do not show me this message again during this session each time it appears and just drive on. I would not spend much time on that, the important thing is to obtain your product!

DJP

Plaster, horizontal lath - Yes, house was built in the 30's and originally is plaster and lath. Since one of the most common wall types on the planet are left out of this program and I really could not get a suitable material made for lath, the scratch coat includes the thickness of the lath. There is no brown coat since the scratch is a gypsum/concrete mix with plaster over it. I do not believe the scratch has any lime in it. The thickness of  It has had a few renovations where they added drywall over the plaster in several rooms, paneling over plaster and where the plaster and lath were removed and drywall was put back. So each wall type has to be defined several times with the fixed interior/exterior motif in order to get the proper material on the interior of a room.

DJP-

Automation is the frustrating part of this software. They just seem to leave simple key aspects of control out. I used AutoCAD throughout most of the 90's and you would just define a wall as exterior or interior and then automation would take over or you could override automation. I was wondering if the material definition was causing the issue since CA seems to put a scratch more in exterior finishes associated with stucco. I am dumbfounded that I have to build one of the most common material sequences in housing and that plaster and lath are not just a part of the materials selection of a wall. To be redundant, there are just simple, basic fundamentals that this program lacks and it shouldn't.

Here, I built the outside perimeter and started adding interior walls. I did not think you could name a room (ygmn response) until you defined the space either by enclosing walls or using a room divider, which is done here.

Back to DJP, I am concerned on what automation is going to do since this is a support wall. Normally, I would not care, except for the way CA aligns the walls. I have a second floor, basement, and crawl space. So it is my understanding that the wall thickness needs to be relatively precise since CA aligns each wall level off of the center of the wall and I have a wide variety of wall thickness that can add up to a couple of inches variance. My house is a 1930's budget, midwestern, gothic farmhouse, originally shaped like a T, with a porch added to the front (now a cross shape). The framing is balloon and this wall stops at the second floor (support 2nd floor) and goes down to the basement foundation. I do not know the impact of CA thinking this is an exterior vs interior wall. I've already had to deal with CA popping an exterior vertical triangle wall segment on top of this wall (turned off roof for this wall). I thought it odd that I can delete the wall segment, use just a default straight interior wall tool and it still calls it an exterior wall. I get handles in the correct location for an independent wall segment. For now, I will just ignore msg.

Chief Architect/Home Designer creates a Virtual environment so one can print to paper a graphic communication to Building professionals who armed with their training and experience will take your graphic, conceptual communication as a general guide to create in the real world your desires. The virtual construct does not need to be precise, it only needs to communicate intensions and not mislead your contractor and his subs.

DJP