Documenting current home - best starting point

desmo-rob

Hello all,

Quite new here and have looked around but I did not see any clear-cut guidance on this topic. I have recently moved and I'd like to document the home and yard's current state, from which I can build out new modifications, starting first with outdoor patio and landscaping, possibly some interior renovations at a later date.

My question is, is there a best place/item with which to start? For me it seems like I would start with the property lines and elevations then build up the home from there, but some posts have indicated that maybe one should start with the home itself. I assumed this advice was meant for a de novo building situation, but not sure.

Also, I am assuming it doesn't really matter if when drawing the home, I use inside or outside measurements, so long as setup my wall material/total thickness appropriately.

Thanks so much for any sage advice from the experts.

Rob

As Rookie65 said, ALWAYS start with building the house, first.
Then create a terrain perimeter.

Open the terrain dialog box (DBX) and set the basic terrain according to it's relation to the house (subfloor height above terrain).
Experiment with this in a sample plan, until you understand how it works.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, M-Reed said:

I am going to disagree. While I would not use the terrain perimeter as such, I would use CAD lines set to the proper dimensions and bearings as per a property survey, Make sure you set a north arrow before starting the perimeter lines. Also set the number style for these lines to bearing before you start as well. Another suggestion: Set the North Arrow to face so that the front of the home is facing to the bottom of the drawing screen and is parallel to the bottom of the drawing screen. That way the house can be drawn at right angles and square to the screen. You will be glad you did this is your property lines are anything but square. 

Once these are done, check for the exact setbacks your local code office requires. Then draw parallel lines next to each property line, set back as required. I always change the line style to a simple, light dashed line. This setback line then gives you a boundary for any portion of your home you might add on to. After drawing the as-built (next stage) you can change the property line to a terrain perimeter and set the height and slope (if any). Yes, HD will do all of this.

One more thing before the model: Check with the code department for subfloor height requirements. Usually it is a specific height above the back of the street curb or osimilar. Street Sloped? Go with the high end for the curb height. This will also be your zero point when you adjust the terrain slope, if any. You will need to remember these details for when you convert the property lines to a terrain perimeter. 

I like to set the boundary lines first so I am not having to adjust the model to sit right with the property lines. This way the model is drawn according to the property it sits on. My Opinion. - Maxie

Any questions are welcome.

Maxie, This seems like a nice solution as it just seems so natural to conform to the constraints that are in place now as opposed to a de novo home design that is not even on a property yet.

Your solution seems to be a good way to achieve this.

I still am in the dark about **why** its not a good idea to start out by drawing a terrain. I just see advice to start out with the house. I suppose this is because I am new to the software and maybe the answer is self-evident after doing a drawings, but as a newbie it seems counter-intuitive and so far I haven't found an explanation in the docs or the knowledge base.

Thanks so much for this!

On 12/9/2022 at 6:30 PM, Jo_Ann said:

As Rookie65 said, ALWAYS start with building the house, first.
Then create a terrain perimeter.

Open the terrain dialog box (DBX) and set the basic terrain according to it's relation to the house (subfloor height above terrain).
Experiment with this in a sample plan, until you understand how it works.

Thanks JoAnn. This seems to be the most common advice. As a newbie it seems counter-intuitive, and I am wondering why creating a terrain perimeter existing first creates problems. There must be some side effects I am not aware of.

Thanks so much!!