Terrain wall: Staggered heights? Permanent?

Baphijmm

Hey there! Trying to create a terrain wall that matches, or at least somewhat resembles, the cinder-block wall defining my backyard. This wall has differing heights in differing locations; for example, at the front terminus, it's about 32" tall, but this is stepped up (gradually) to 60" tall a few feet back. (I'm including an example picture, which I hope will illustrate what I mean a little better.) I thought I'd figured out how to do this by separating the terrain wall using line-breaks and disconnecting the selected edge, but the moment any other change is made to another part of the wall, it automatically re-joins the separated part and attempts to re-equate the heights! Is there any way I could accomplish this seemingly-Sisyphean task?

2022-08-23 19.55.47.jpg

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Reverse Layers on every other wall section.

ht1.thumb.png.0070d8ff6fd4828f8547b4bdad233ab9.png

This certainly looks like the solution; from the way things are looking from a search + checking things in the program, this can only be done on WALL walls, not terrain walls? I don't mind re-defining that stuff, just making sure I'm correct.

You an do a Cross Section/Elevation of the wall. Once you have this, you can select the retaining wall and use Add Break tool to the top of the wall to break it into sections. Once you break the top of wall, you can make it step the way you want it. This can also be done in 3D view, but is not as easy to accomplish. One interesting thing about this, is that the terrain will not change so the wall can be taller than terrain on both sides if you want instead of terrain even with upper side of wall.

So I discovered, quite to my pleasure, that defining it as a fence not only solved this problem with the aforementioned reverse layers technique, but additionally allowed me to set the occasional little pilasters as "newels", the wall itself as panels, and just change the textures to match. It's not PERFECT, but you know what, it doesn't need to be, and it's a significant improvement over what I was getting before. So thanks!

20220828-side-fence.png