Deleting part of skin on wall

Baf3472

Hey Everyone. I'm relatively new to using Home Designer Pro, using Pro 2022. I am designed a semi-attached garage for my home. The new garage will be built on a slab and will share half of one wall with the existing home that is built with a crawl space. Is there any way to delete the siding on the parts of each wall that touch each other? Thanks

27 minutes ago, solver said:

A picture (screen capture) or two will help someone help you.

I hope this is of some help. Where its circled, the new garage will but up to the existing home. Im hoping to be able to remove the siding on the outside of that part of the existing and that part of the new garage. 

237TolsonGarageExistingHelp.pdf 237TolsonGarageExistingHelp2.pdf

Can you use the existing house wall as part of the garage? If so, create a new wall type for just the combined wall and then start the new garage wall at the back corner. Depending on where you live, the garage side will need fire separation, so maybe the "fire 4" or 6 that is in the wall types will work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookie65 said:

Can you use the existing house wall as part of the garage? If so, create a new wall type for just the combined wall and then start the new garage wall at the back corner. Depending on where you live, the garage side will need fire separation, so maybe the "fire 4" or 6 that is in the wall types will work?

Unfortunately, due to the roof over the garage, we have to have a separate wall there. I tried to do that. I cut the wall and the program automatically created a pony wall and I was able to go into 3d and select just the skin and change it to sheetrock.  When I move the wall, it shows that its sheetrock, but when I look at it in 3d, it shows the default lap siding. 

GarageSheetrck.jpg

GarageSheetrck2.jpg

GarageSheetrck3.jpg

You have the ability to define walls. For the wall where the blue siding shows, define a new wall type if there is not one that will work. Change that wall to use your new or existing wall type.

The program works best when you set defaults first, then begin drawing. 

Give it your best effort, and if you still have problems, attach the plan file (close Pro first).

And here is a architectural suggestion. If you have room, consider this detail. A roof plane that dies into a sidewall like you show just doesn't look correct.

ht1.thumb.png.71572483220c32f39cb5bd239a12ae4c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solver said:

You have the ability to define walls. For the wall where the blue siding shows, define a new wall type if there is not one that will work. Change that wall to use your new or existing wall type.

The program works best when you set defaults first, then begin drawing. 

Give it your best effort, and if you still have problems, attach the plan file (close Pro first).

And here is a architectural suggestion. If you have room, consider this detail. A roof plane that dies into a sidewall like you show just doesn't look correct.

ht1.thumb.png.71572483220c32f39cb5bd239a12ae4c.png

Unfortunately, I would love to add a detail like that but I dont have enough room on the far side before I hit the 5' setback and I'd prefer not to make the garage narrower.