Roof pitches, am I beating a dead horse?

blizzard

I had accidentally posted this on the chief talk side and was referred here. I believe the answer is that I would have to have the Pro version to overcome the problem. Can anyone confirm?

The original question:

I can't get two roof pitches if they are in line. A simple example. Draw a basic ranch, let's say 24x48 with a 10/12 roof pitch. Add a garage, same width with a 4/12 pitch (changed from default). I cannot get the roof to show both pitches, only one. 

If I build in a L shape or off set the walls, no problem, but if they are in line - no go. I have played with the walls, added breaks in the walls, switched to manual, and nothing seems to work. What am I blind too?

Here is the link to the previous thread.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4052-afraid-to-ask-roof-pitch/ 

I don't think you "need" Pro for this based on the other forum posts.

There are many times in the less advanced versions where you need to get the roof built as you want, then turn off Auto Rebuild Roofs, delete extra walls, adjust Ceiling Heights, get rid of temporary second floor rooms, etc.

You've got a bunch of methods that will work just fine, but personally I'd create two separate, unattached buildings the distance of the Roof overhang and adjust the Ceiling Height in one of the rooms until the roof planes align how you want (probably with the gutter matching up?).  Once you've got the roof settled, go back in to the Build Roof dialog, turn off Auto Rebuild Roofs, then when you delete or move walls the roof won't regenerate.

post-35-0-77127100-1424816228_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

The reason users at Chief Talk and myself tend to say "you must have Pro or Premier..." is because we are all spoiled and lazy basically being able to manually manipulate roof planes. Kat is 100% correct in this case (and  many others as well) that you can do what you want in this case with what you  have by a little "out of the box" thinking and just using the tools you have to hand. Carefully study her  (Kat's) post above, all the necessary steps are there to take. It may require several "try's" until you get exactly what you want but you must persist and learn from your mistakes.

The key is to split your home into two separate buildings, laid out so that after roofs are automatically built you then turn that "feature" off and manually move the two buildings and their roofs together using the "Edit Area" tool and patience.

DJP

Thank you for the replies.

Here is a simplified plan where I essentially did what Kat advised by using two walls next to each other. No matter how I manipulate it notice how the center of the roof lines never match. I really don't care about that but it is odd. Another thing, notice how the overhangs meet on the back inside corner but are off on the front side. 

I tried shifting walls and changing ceiling height. What I gain on one side I lose on the other.

I guess this will get me as close as I need to be. It will show me and a true architect what the structure will look like. I don't think I will get a true plan out of this program. 

correct roof.plan

I guess you didn't look at the Thread I linked you to on Chieftalk ? 

here it is again, it's from a few months ago about exactly the same issue.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/124-different-pitch-on-two-areas-of-same-rectangular-building/?hl=roof#entry628

It is easier to use Kat's method of building separate roofs (buildings) and then turning off auto rebuild. Then merge the two. There will be the same problem with the eves as in the way you linked. Either way may be better depending on what is being built. I got it as close as can be done with this software. Thank you for responding.

You are right both ways work ,just wanted to make sure you were aware of different methods, which maybe easier in different circumstances , the two building way is similar to the way you do Clerestory Windows with a double internal wall which you later delete.

you can see an Article on that in the KB area here

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00492/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/How-to-Build-a-Clerestory-Roof.html