Basement Windows through Foundation and Interior Walls

PAEstimator

I'm wondering how others properly draw a basement remodel plan to accurately show the plan and 3D model view.  In my first attempt, I drew the existing foundation walls and left a space, then drew a new interior wall where it would be added.  I know this isn't the best method because it creates a "room" between the foundation wall and new interior wall.  However, it seemed to work in terms of making the plan view look correct for permit drawings.  My struggle with this method is when I tried to accurately show windows (in 3D model), I could not get the window to cut through both walls.  So in my next attempt, I created a new wall type with a concrete wall, air space, then interior wall.  This worked for the windows, but the new wall type did not properly connect (in plan view) to other interior walls and to the concerete foundation walls that remain in the unfinished areas.  See attached picture.  Any suggestions?

Chief_wall_issue.png

I do a lot of basement remodel plans. What I have done is created an interior wall type of 2x6 with drywall on one side and a vapor barrier on the other. Depending on where you live and your energy codes, you may need to adjust it's structure. Or you may be able to use 2x4 with spray foam insulation. Then when I get to the windows, I use a "pass through" and make it half an inch bigger than the window on width and height and suppress the label and set it to eliminate the exterior casing and sill so it sits flush. Then align it with the window so there's a 1/4" reveal on 4 sides. You can do that for exterior doors as well. In Pro, for whatever reason, there may be times when a finished flooring is added to the concrete floor, it will move the windows on you. I don't know if it's been fixed in the 2022 version yet.

Working with software that is pre-programmed to work as it works then causes one to have to do what is required to graphically display, in detail what one wants. In terms of the unwanted wall connections you can, as in AutoCAD just add 2D fill and other 2D CAD objects over such junctions to make them appear exactly as you visually wish. The 3D is mainly for exterior elevations, interior wall cabinet elevations, 3D views and renderings. For purely structural views I mainly use plan views with CAD overlays and cross section views with added 2D CAD overlays to spruce up what the software does naturally.

Like Eric said above, more specific help can be offered once we know exactly what software you are using; needing help with. Also providing a copy of your problem plan file is also VERY helpful.

DJP